A real-time dual-image-based reversible data hiding scheme using turtle shells
- 101 Downloads
In this paper, we propose a novel real-time dual-image-based reversible data hiding (RDH) scheme using turtle shells (TS) which decomposes and hides secret data into two shadows. After constructing a novelly designed TS-based reference matrix, one secret bit is concealed in the first shadow and four secret bits are embedded in the second shadow. According to the orientation relationship of the pixel pairs selected from the two shadows, the hidden secret data and the cover image can be extracted and restored without errors. In the experiment, the proposed scheme achieved higher embedding capacity and maintained better visual quality than some state-of-the-art dual-image-based schemes. Meanwhile, according to the lower computational complexity of the proposed scheme, it is suitable for diverse real-time applications. In addition, the proposed scheme has good performance on resisting static attacks on pixel-value differencing (PVD) histogram.
KeywordsReversible data hiding (RDH) Turtle shell (TS) Dual-image Reference matrix Real time
This work is partially supported by the Science and Technology Project of Xiamen (Grant number: JT180439) and the Natural Science Foundation of Fujian Province (Grant number: 2018J01572).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Chang, C.C., Chou, Y.C., Kieu, T.D.: An information hiding scheme using Sudoku. In: Proceedings of Third International Conference on Innovative Computing, Information and Control, Dalian, China, pp. 17–22, June: 2008Google Scholar
- 5.Chang, C.C., Liu, Y.J., Nguyen, T.S.: A novel turtle shell based scheme for data hiding. In: Proceedings of Tenth International Conference on Intelligent Information Hiding and Multimedia Signal Processing, Kitakyushu, Japan, pp. 89–93, August 2014Google Scholar
- 17.Tao, J., Li, S., Zhang, X., Wang, Z.: Towards robust image steganography. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2018.2881118
- 19.Chang, C.C., Kieu, T.D., Chou, Y.C.: Reversible data hiding scheme using two steganographic images. In: Proceedings of IEEE Region 10 International Conference (TENCON), Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 1–4, October 2007Google Scholar
- 20.Chang, C.C., Chou, Y.C., Kieu, T.D.: Information hiding in dual images with reversibility. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering, Qingdao, China, pp. 145–152, June 2009Google Scholar
- 21.Lee, C.F., Wang, K.H., Chang, C.C., Huang, Y.L.: A reversible data hiding scheme based on dual steganographic images. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication, Suwon, Korea, 228–237, January 2009Google Scholar
- 23.Chang, C.C., Lu, T.C., Horng, G., Huang, Y.H., Hsu, Y.M.: A high payload data embedding scheme using dual stego-images with reversibility. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing, Tainan, Taiwan, pp. 1–5, December 2013Google Scholar
- 25.Chang, C.C., Chou, Y.C., Kieu, T.D.: An information hiding scheme using Sudoku. In: Proceedings of The Third International Conference on Innovative Computing, Information and Control (ICICIC 2008), Dalian, China, pp. 17–21, June 2008Google Scholar
- 27.Wang, Z.H., Guo, C., Chang, C.C.: “A novel (n, n) secret image sharing scheme based on Sudoku,” J. Electron. Sci. Technol. 11(1), 44–50, (2013)Google Scholar