Exploring Five Online Collaboration Tools to Facilitate a Professional Learning Community
Critical Friends Groups (CFGs) are a form professional learning community that has been used for teacher learning in K-12 environments for many years. In order to foster community and learning amongst distributed participants, CFGs are beginning to make their way online. This article describes the expereience of a four-year old online CFG whose goal was to explore how different technologies can support the work of a virtual CFG by being an online CFG. This article describes the technologies used to host this CFG, the attributes of those technologies to support this collaborative work and the lessons learned from the group’s experience.
KeywordsCritical friends group Online learning Professional development Professional learning community Virtual community
- Bambino, D. (2002). Critical friends. Educational Leadership, 59(6), 25–27.Google Scholar
- Blitz, C.L. (2013). Can online learning communities achieve the goals of traditional professional learning communities? What the literature says. (REL 2013–003). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance, Regional Educational Laboratory Mid-Atlantaci. Retrieved from http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/edlabs.
- Costa, A., & Kallick, B. (1993). Through the lens of a critical friend. Educational Leadership, 51(2), 49–51.Google Scholar
- Lock, J. V. (2006). A new image: Online communities to facilitate teacher professional development. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 14(4), 663–678.Google Scholar
- Moore, J.A., & Carter-Hicks, J. (2014) Let’s talk! Facilitating a faculty learning community using a critical friends group approach. International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 8(2), Article 9.Google Scholar
- Phillips, J. (2003). Powerful learning: Creating learning communities in urban school reform. Journal of Curriculum and Supervision, 18(3), 240–258.Google Scholar