The impact factor: Measuring student professional growth in an online doctoral program
- 150 Downloads
This article describes the impact of an online Ed.D. in educational technology based on data collected from students at regular intervals during the program. It documents how students who were working professionals applied learning from the program within their practice, enculturated into the educational technology community, and grew professionally. Our findings indicate that an online professional program embedded in practice can have substantial impact on students’ professional growth and professional practice.
KeywordsEducational Technology Professional Practice Information Literacy Blended Learning Online Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CPED (2010). Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate. http://cped.org.
- Daloz, L. A. P. (2000). Transformative learning for the common good. In Learning as transformation: Critical perspectives on a theory in progress, J. Mezirow and Associates (Eds), pp. 103-123. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Dawson, K., Cavanaugh, C., Sessums, C., Black, E. & Kumar, S. (2011). Designing a professional practice doctoral degree in Educational Technology: Signature pedagogies, implications and recommendations. Journal of Distance Education, 25(3). http://www.jofde.ca/index.php/jde/article/view/767
- Garrison, D. R., Anderson, T. & Archer, W. (2001). Critical inquiry in a text-based environment: Computer conferencing in higher education. The Internet and Higher Education, 2(2/3), 87 - 105.Google Scholar
- Graham, S., Rhodes, G. & Shiel, G. (2006). Reflection through work based learning. In S. Roodhouse, M. Bowley, and C. McKevitt (Eds.). Putting work based learning into practice. York: University Vocational Awards Council.Google Scholar
- Hatch, J. A. (2002). Doing Qualitative Research in Education Settings. Albany: SUNY Press.Google Scholar
- Kegan, R. (2000). What “form” transforms?: A constructive-developmental approach to transformative learning. In Learning as transformation: Critical perspectives on a theory in progress, J. Mezirow and Associates (Eds) pp. 3-34. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Knowles, M. S. (1984). Andragogy in Action. Applying modern principles of adult education, San Francisco: Jossey Bass.Google Scholar
- Kumar, S., Dawson, K. Black, E. W., Cavanaugh, C., & Sessums, C. D. (2011) Applying the Community of Inquiry framework to an online professional practice doctoral program. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 12(6), 126-142. http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/978/1961 Google Scholar
- Kumar, S. & Dawson, K. (2012a). Theory to Practice: Implementation and Initial Impact of an Online Doctoral program. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 15(1). http://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/spring151/kumar_dawson.html
- Kumar, S., Johnson, M. L., & Hardemon, T. (2013). Dissertations at a Distance: Students’ perceptions of Online Mentoring in a Doctoral Program. Journal of Distance Education, 27(1). Retrieved November 13, 2013 from http://www.jofde.ca/index.php/jde/article/view/835
- Kumar, S., Ochoa, M. N. & Edwards, M. E. (2012). Considering Information Literacy Skills and Needs: Designing Library Instruction for the Online Learner. Communications in Information Literacy, 6(1). http://www.comminfolit.org/index.php?journal=cil&page=article&op=view&path=v6i1p91
- Merriam, S. (1988). Case study research in education: A qualitative approach. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Mezirow, J. (2000). Learning to think like an adult: Core concepts of transformational theory. In Learning as transformation: Critical perspectives on a theory in progress, J. Mezirow and Associates (Eds.) San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Miles, M. B., & Huberman, A.M. (1994). Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Moore, J. C. (2005). The Sloan Consortium Quality Framework and the Five Pillars. The Sloan Consortium. Retrieved November 14, 2013, from http://www.sloanc.org/publications/books/qualityframework.pdf