The Riddle of the Smart Machines
- 90 Downloads
Hundreds of graduate students were introduced to the fields of instructional design and educational technology with the riddle of the smart machines, yet over the years no one has answered it correctly. After revealing the surprising answer to this riddle, both the negative and positive impacts of smart machines are analyzed. An example of this is given by developing practical interventions for the shortcomings of the award-winning simulation program The Oregon Trail.
Key Words“smart machines” riddle educational technology The Oregon Trail Software
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams, D. (1998). Is there an artificial God? Retrieved from http://www.biota.org/people/douglasadams/
- Adams, D. (2004). The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. New York: Harmony.Google Scholar
- Anthes, G. (2004, July 5). IBM works on gadgets and gizmos, too. Computerworld. http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,94287,00.html
- AppleMasters. (2009). In Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Retrieved August 4, 2009, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleMasters.
- Batista, E. (2003). Chilly Forecast for Smart Fridge. August 02, 2003, Wired Magazine. http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2003/08/59858.
- CNN (2005, June 28). Clever toilet checks on your health. http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/06/28/spark.toilet/index.html
- Dubno, D. (2003, November 6). My IBM Vacation. CBS News. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/06/tech/digitaldan/main582146.shtml
- Hightower, J. (2000, January 9). Coke’s “Intelligent Vending” Machine. http://www.zmag.org/ZSustainers/ZDaily/2000-01/09hightower.htm
- Hoover, E. (2002). IBM Introduces ‘Smart’ Washing Machines on College Campuses. The Chronicle of Higher Education, September 3, 2002. http://chronicle.com/free/2002/09/2002090302t.htm
- Kornblum, J. (2001). MIT students log on for the loo lowdown. USA Today, retrieved from http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2001-09-05-ebrief.htm.
- Lightreading.com. (n.d.). IP on Everything. Retrieved May 30, 2008, from http://www.lightreading.com/techenc.asp?term=IP%20on%20Everything
- Manuel, G. (October 20, 2003). Dial-a-Coke is slacking thirst in Australia. The Wall Street Journal, R3Google Scholar
- Needleman, R. (2006). Video: Linux with chocolate flavor? Retrieved February 22, 2008, from http://news.cnet.com/1606-2_3-6036425.html
- Overholt, A. (2002, March). A (Virtually) Perfect Close. Fast Company, Issue 57, p. 112.Google Scholar
- Rothman, W. (2003, November). Cable Cutters. Time, p. A41.Google Scholar
- Tierney, J. (2007, December 18). Why nobody likes a smart machine. New York Times. Retrieved May 30, 2008, from http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/18/science/18tier.html
- Yee, B. (2003, August 29). Internet Accessible Coke Machines. Retrieved February 22, 2008, from http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/users/bsy/coke.html
- Zuboff, S. (1984). In the Age of the Smart Machine. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar