Foreclosure and Health in Southern Europe: Results from the Platform for People Affected by Mortgages
Housing instability has been shown to be related to poorer health outcomes in various studies, mainly in the USA and UK. Affected individuals are more prone to psychiatric (e.g., major depression, anxiety) and physical disorders (e.g., hypertension). This situation has deteriorated with the onset of the economic crisis. One of the most affected countries is Spain, which has high rates of foreclosure and eviction that continue to rise. In response, a civil movement, The Platform for People Affected by Mortgages (PAH), works to provide solutions to its members affected by foreclosure and advocates for the right to decent housing. The aims of this study ware to describe and compare the health status of PAH members from Catalonia to a sample of the general population and to analyze the association between health status and mortgage status, foreclosure stage, and other socioeconomic variables, among members of the PAH. We conducted a cross-sectional study using a self-administered online questionnaire (2014) administered to 905 PAH members in Catalonia (>18 years; 559 women and 346 men). Results were compared with health indicators from The Health Survey of Catalonia 2013 (n = 4830). The dependent variables were poor mental health (GHQ 12 ≥ 3), and poor self-reported health (fair or poor). All analyses were stratified by sex. We computed age-standardized prevalence and prevalence ratios of poor mental and self-reported health in both samples. We also analyzed health outcomes among PAH members according to mortgage status (mortgage holders or guarantors), stage of foreclosure, and other socioeconomic variables by computing prevalence ratios from robust Poisson regression models. The prevalence of poor mental health among PAH members was 90.6 % in women and 84.4 % in men, and 15.5 and 10.2 % in the general population, respectively. The prevalence of poor self-reported health was 55.6 % in women and 39.4 % in men from the PAH, and 19.2 and 16.1 % in the general population, respectively. These health inequalities were independent of socioeconomic status. The prevalence of poor mental health was higher among individuals in the non-payment stage of foreclosure than among those who were up to date with their payments (e.g., PRc = 1.16 [95 % CI 1.04–1.28]). In contrast, self-reported poor health was more prominent in later stages of foreclosure, such as in post-eviction without dation in payment stage in men (PRc = 2.24 [95 %CI = 1.35–3.72]). We observed a considerably higher prevalence of poor mental and self-reported health among male and female PAH members than in the general population. Public policies that tackle housing instability and its consequences are urgently needed in Spain.
KeywordsHousing instability Foreclosure Evictions Health Crisis
- 1.European Commission. National measures and practices to avoid foreclosure procedures for residential mortgage loans (Comission Staff working paper). Brussels; 2011.Google Scholar
- 3.Cannuscio CC, Alley DE, Pagán J, Soldo B, Krasny S, Shardell M, et al. Housing strain, mortgage foreclosure, and health. Nurs Outlook. 2012; 60: 134–42. Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=3816996&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Rollins C, Glass NE, Perrin NA, Billhardt KA, Clough A, Barnes J, et al. Housing instability is as strong a predictor of poor health outcomes as level of danger in an abusive relationship: findings from the SHARE Study. J Interpers Violence. 2012; 27: 623–43. [cited 2014 Jul 2] Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21987519.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Pollack CE, Lynch J. Health status of people undergoing foreclosure in the Philadelphia region. Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 1833–9. [cited 2014 Jul 4] Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2741520&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Houle JN. Mental health in the foreclosure crisis. Soc Sci Med. 2014; 118: 1–8. Elsevier Ltd; [cited 2014 Jul 31]. Available from: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0277953614004948.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Fowler KA, Gladden RM, Vagi KJ, Barnes J, Frazier L. Increase in suicides associated with home eviction and foreclosure during the US housing crisis: findings from 16 national violent death reporting system states, 2005–2010. Am J Public Health. 2015; 105(2): 311–16. [cited 2014 Sep 30]. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25033148.
- 9.Arcaya M, Glymour MM, Chakrabarti P, Christakis NA, Kawachi I, Subramanian SV. Effects of proximate foreclosed properties on individuals’ systolic blood pressure in Massachusetts, 1987 to 2008. Circulation. 2014; 129: 2262–8. [cited 2014 Sep 19]. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24891622.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.Nettleton S, Burrows R. Mortgage debt, insecure home ownership and health: an exploratory analysis. Sociology of Health & Illness. 1998; 20:731–53.Google Scholar
- 13.Osypuk TL, Caldwell CH, Platt RW, Misra DP. The consequences of foreclosure for depressive symptomatology. Ann Epidemiol. 2012; 22: 379–87. Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=3378648&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.McLaughlin KA, Nandi A, Keyes KM, Uddin M, Aiello AE, Galea S, et al. Home foreclosure and risk of psychiatric morbidity during the recent financial crisis. Psychol Med. 2012; 42: 1441–8. Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=3438142&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ross LM, Squires GD. The personal costs of subprime lending and the foreclosure crisis: a matter of trust, insecurity, and institutional deception*. Soc Sci Q. 2011; 92: 140–63. Available from: http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/j.1540-6237.2011.00761.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Alguacil A, Alguacil J, Arasanz J, Fernández G, Paniagua J, Olea S, et al. La vivienda en España en el siglo XXI (Resumen Ejecutivo). Madrid: Fundación Foessa; 2013.Google Scholar
- 17.Colau A, Alemany A. Vidas Hipotecadas. Barcelona: Angle Editorial; 2012.Google Scholar
- 18.Pittini A, Laino E. Housing Europe Review 2012: the nuts and bolts of European social housing systems. Belgium: CECODHAS Housing Europe’s Observatory; 2012. Available from: http://www.housingeurope.eu/file/38/download.
- 19.EUROSTAT. Unemployment rate by sex and age groups—monthly average, %. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do. Accessed 2015 Jan 15.
- 20.Alemany A, Colau A, Escorihuela I, Odonia A, Pidemont M, Pisarello G, et al. Emergencia habitacional en el estado español. Barcelona: Observatori DESC y Plataforma de Afectados por la Hipoteca; 2013.Google Scholar
- 21.Pisarello G. El derecho a la vivienda: constitucionalización debil y resistencias garantistas. Espaço Juridico J Law. 2013; 14: 135–58.Google Scholar
- 22.Consejo General del Poder Judicial. Datos sobre el efecto de la crisis en los organos judiciales. Desde 2007 hasta cuarto trimestre de 2014. http://www.poderjudicial.es/portal/site/cgpj/menuitem.65d2c4456b6ddb628e635fc1dc432ea0/?vgnextoid=311600fe2aa03410VgnVCM1000006f48ac0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=a64e3da6cbe0a210VgnVCM100000cb34e20a. Accessed 2015 Dec 19.
- 23.Consejo General del Poder Judicial. Una aproximación a la conciliación de los datos sobre ejecuciones hipotecarias y desahucios. Madrid; Consejo General del Poder Judicial; 2013.Google Scholar
- 24.Agüero Ortiz A. Medidas introducidas por la Ley 1/2013, comparativa con el RDL 6/2012, y el soterramiento de la ILP. Revista CESCO de Derecho de Consumo. 2013; 6(2013): 66–78..Google Scholar
- 25.PAH. Plataforma de Afectados por la Hipoteca (PAH): de la burbuja inmobiliaria al derecho a la vivienda. Available from: http://afectadosporlahipoteca.com. Accessed 2014 Nov 21.
- 26.Alcañiz-Zanóna M, Mompart-Peninab A, Guillén-Estanya M, Medina-Bustosb A, Aragay-Barbanya J, Brugulat-Guiterasb P, et al. Nuevo diseño de la Encuesta de Salud de Cataluña (2010-2014): un paso adelante en planificación y evaluación sanitaria. Gac Sanit. 2014; 28: 338–40. Available from: http://scielo.isciii.es/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0213-91112014000400015&lng=es&nrm=iso.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Rocha K, Pérez K, Rodríguez-Sanz M, Borrell C, Obiols J. Propiedades psicométricas y valores normativos del General Health Questionnaire (GHQ-12) en población general española. Int J Clin Health Psychol. 2011; 11: 125–39.Google Scholar
- 28.Mavaddat N, Kinmonth AL, Sanderson S, Surtees P, Bingham S, Khaw KT. What determines Self-Rated Health (SRH)? A cross-sectional study of SF-36 health domains in the EPIC-Norfolk cohort. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2011; 65: 800–6. [cited 2014 Oct 24]. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20551149.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Domingo-Salvany A, Bacigalupe A, Carrasco JM, Espelt A, Ferrando J, Borrell C. Proposals for social class classification based on the Spanish National Classification of Occupations 2011 using neo-Weberian and neo-Marxist approaches. Gac Sanit. 2013; 27: 263–72. [cited 2014 Oct 21]. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23394892.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Barros AJD, Hirakata VN. Alternatives for logistic regression in cross-sectional studies: an empirical comparison of models that directly estimate the prevalence ratio. BMC Med Res Methodol BioMed Cent. 2003; 13: 1–13.Google Scholar
- 33.WHO. Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health. Final report of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008.Google Scholar
- 34.Arcas MM, Novoa AM, Artazcoz L. Gender inequalities in the association between demands of family and domestic life and health in Spanish workers. Eur J Public Health. 2013; 23: 883–8. Available from: http://eurpub.oxfordjournals.org/content/23/5/883.abstract.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Banco de España. Nota informativa sobre los procesos de ejecución hipotecaria sobre viviendas. http://www.bde.es/bde/es/secciones/prensa/notas/Briefing_notes/. Accessed 2015 Jan 14.