Are Food Deserts Also Play Deserts?
- 897 Downloads
Although food deserts are areas that lack easy access to food outlets and considered a barrier to a healthy diet and a healthy weight among residents, food deserts typically comprise older urban areas which may have many parks and street configurations that could facilitate more physical activity. However, other conditions may limit the use of available facilities in these areas. This paper assesses the use of parks in two Pittsburgh food desert neighborhoods by using systematic observation. We found that while the local parks were accessible, they were largely underutilized. We surveyed local residents and found that only a minority considered the parks unsafe for use during the day, but a substantial proportion suffered from health limitations that interfered with physical activity. Residents also felt that parks lacked programming and other amenities that could potentially draw more park users. Parks programming and equipment in food desert areas should be addressed to account for local preferences and adjusted to meet the needs and limitations of local residents, especially seniors.
KeywordsParks Physical activity Food deserts Health disparities
This paper was supported in part by NHLBI # R01HL114432 and NCI # R01CA164137.
- 4.Ver Ploeg M, Breneman V, Dutko P, et al. Access to affordable and nutritious food: updated estimates of distance to supermarkets using 2010 data. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err-economic-research-report/err143.aspx. 2011. Accessed 20 November 2011.
- 5.USDA. PART D: SCIENCE BASE section 3: Discretionary calories http://www.health.gov/DIETARYGUIDELINES/dga2005/report/HTML/D3_DiscCalories.htm. Accessed 17 Dec 2015.
- 7.TPL. 2015 city park facts. https://www.tpl.org/2015-city-park-facts. Accessed 17 Dec 2015.
- 13.Cohen DA (2015). The National Study of Neighborhood Parks: preliminary results. Greater and Greener Conference. San Francisco.Google Scholar
- 14.TPL. 2014 City park facts. http://www.tpl.org/2014-city-park-facts. Accessed 17 Dec 2015.
- 15.USCensus. American community survey. https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/. Accessed 17 Dec 2015.