BI 853520, a FAK-Simile of Prior FAK Inhibitors?
- 46 Downloads
In this issue of Targeted Oncology, the BI 853520 investigators present three complementary studies of BI 853520 that investigate this drug in both Western and Eastern patient populations, as well as investigating the effects of food and drug formulation on drug absorption [1, 2, 3]. It is the latest in the field of similar compounds against focal adhesion kinase (FAK), a pre-clinically promising target for cancer therapy. FAK is a multifunctional cytoplasmic tyrosine kinase that has been shown to play an important role in the regulation of proliferation, metastasis, angiogenesis and tumour microenvironment signalling . Some of these effects are mediated through kinase-dependent signalling and others through kinase-independent signalling [1, 4]. Overexpression of FAK has been observed in multiple different malignancies and may contribute to tumour progression and aggressiveness . Pre-clinically, inhibition of FAK has been shown to inhibit tumour growth [4, 5]. Anti-cancer drugs...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
No external funding was used in the preparation of this article.
Conflict of interest
Rachael Chang Lee and Hui Gan declare that they have no conflicts of interest that might be relevant to the contents of this article.
- 3.Verheijen RB, Van der Biessen DAJ, Hotte SJ, Siu LL, Spreafico A, De Jonge MJA, et al. Randomized, open-label, crossover studies evaluating the effect of food and liquid formulation on the pharmacokinetics of the novel focal adhesion kinase (FAK) inhibitor. Targ Oncol. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11523-018-00618-0.Google Scholar
- 6.Infante JR, Camidge DR, Mileshkin LR, Chen EX, Hicks RJ, Rischin D, et al. Safety, pharmacokinetic, and pharmacodynamic phase I dose-escalation trial of PF-00562271, an inhibitor of focal adhesion kinase, in advanced solid tumors. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(13):1527–33. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2011.38.9346.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Soria JC, Gan HK, Blagden SP, Plummer R, Arkenau HT, Ranson M, et al. A phase I, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of GSK2256098, a focal adhesion kinase inhibitor, in patients with advanced solid tumors. Ann Oncol. 2016;27(12):2268–74. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdw427.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Gerber DE, Camidge DR, Morgensztern D, Cetnar J, Kelly RJ, Ramalingam SS et al. Phase II study of Defactinib, VS-6063, a Focal Adhesion Kinase (FAK) Inhibitor in Patients with KRAS Mutant Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC). In: World conference on lung cancer; Sep 6–9, 2015; Denver. Colorado, USA, 2015.Google Scholar
- 10.Oncology V. Verastem Stops Enrollment Due to Futility in the COMMAND Study of VS-6063 for the Treatment of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. 2015. http://investor.verastem.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=250749&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2090793. Accessed 20 Jan 2019.
- 13.Hirt UA, Waizenegger IC, Schweifer N, Haslinger C, Gerlach D, Braunger J, et al. Efficacy of the highly selective focal adhesion kinase inhibitor BI 853520 in adenocarcinoma xenograft models is linked to a mesenchymal tumor phenotype. Oncogenesis. 2018;7(2):21. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41389-018-0032-z.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Golubovskaya V, Ho B, Stright A, Zajac-Kaye M, Hochwald SN, Cance WG, et al. Targeting Y397 FAK scaffolding compared with FAK kinase inhibition: efficacy and specificity for tumor cells. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31(Suppl 15):e13547.Google Scholar
- 15.Patel MR, Infante JR, Moore KN, Keegan M, Poli A, Padval M et al. Phase 1/1b study of the FAK inhibitor defactinib (VS-6063) in combination with weekly paclitaxel for advanced ovarian cancer. [abstract]. In: Proceedings of the AACR-NCI-EORTC International Conference: Molecular Targets and Cancer Therapeutics; 2013 Oct 19-23; Boston, MA. Philadelphia (PA): AACR. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. 2013;12.Google Scholar
- 16.Howe GA, Xiao B, Zhao H, Al-Zahrani KN, Hasim MS, Villeneuve J, et al. Focal adhesion kinase inhibitors in combination with erlotinib demonstrate enhanced anti-tumor activity in non-small cell lung cancer. PLoS One. 2016;11(3):e0150567. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0150567.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Arkenau H-T, Gazzah A, Plummer R, Blagden SP, Mak G, Soria J-C, et al. A phase Ib dose-escalation study of GSK2256098 (FAKi) plus trametinib (MEKi) in patients with selected advanced solid tumors. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(15_suppl):2593. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2015.33.15_suppl.2593.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ring JE, Li Y, Shapiro IM, Wang Y, Weaver DT, Pachter JA. FAK/PYK2 inhibitors defactinib and VS-4718 enhance immune checkpoint inhibitor efficacy [abstract]. In: Proceedings of the AACR-NCI-EORTC international conference: molecular targets and cancer therapeutics; 2015 Nov 5–9; Boston, MA. Philadelphia (PA): AACR. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. 2015;14.Google Scholar