Factors Associated with Recent Suicide Attempts in Clients Presenting for Addiction Treatment
- 268 Downloads
Factors associated with recent suicide attempts were examined in clients who sought treatment at an addictions facility between 2001 and 2008. Clients who reported being hospitalized for attempting suicide in the past year (n = 76) were compared to all other clients (n = 5914) on demographic, mental health, substance use, and problem gambling variables. Compared to all other clients, clients who attempted suicide were significantly less educated, and more likely to have major depressive disorder, a bipolar disorder, ADHD, a personality disorder, or a gambling problem. While mental health issues have long been linked with suicide, new research, such as the present study, continues to find associations between gambling and suicide. With the strong relationship between mood disorders and gambling, these findings support continued research into the possible connection between gambling and suicide.
KeywordsGambling Suicide Mood disorder Substances Education
- Bakken, K., & Vaglum, P. (2007). Predictors of suicide attempters in substance-dependent patients: a six-year prospective follow-up. Clinical Practice and Epidemiology in Mental Health, 3(20), 11p.Google Scholar
- Crockford, D., & el-Guebaly, N. (1998). Psychiatric comorbidity in pathological gambling: a critical review. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 43, 43–50.Google Scholar
- Goodwin, F. K., & Jamison, K. R. (2007). Suicide. In F. K. Goodwin & K. R. Jamison (Eds.), Manic-depressive illness: Bipolar disorders and recurrent depression (pp. 247–272). New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Jamieson, J., Mazmanian, D., Penney, A., Black, N., & Nguyen, A. (in press). When problem gambling is the primary reason for seeking addiction treatment. International Journal of Mental Health & Addiction.Google Scholar
- Séguin, M., Lesage, A., Chawky, N., Guy, A., Daigle, F., Girard, G., et al. (2006). Suicide cases in New Brunswick from April 2002 to May 2003: the importance of better recognizing substance and mood disorder comorbidity. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 51, 581–586.Google Scholar
- Statistics Canada. (2010). Suicides and suicide rate, by sex and by age group. Retrieved May 3rd, 2010 from http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/hlth66d-eng.htm.