Ultrafast Plasmonic Electron Emission from Ag Nanolayers with Different Roughness
- 317 Downloads
We demonstrate ultrafast plasmonic electron emission and acceleration from Ag nanolayers having different roughness. We obtained the spectrum of the electrons and found that the surface roughness deeply influences the properties of the electron spectra. Numerical simulations on propagating surface plasmons coupled to localized plasmons on surface grains support the observations. Applications related to ultrafast electron sources and ultrafast photocathodes are envisaged.
KeywordsUltrafast phenomena Nanoparticles Electron emission Surface plasmons
We acknowledge support from the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (Lendület Grant). This work was also partially supported by the European Union and the European Social Fund through project entitled ELITeam at the University of Szeged, and by the National Research, Development and Innovation Office under Contract No. PD 109472, 109257 and 116688. We wish to thank Tomasz Szoplik for his help in sample fabrication and Pál Mezei for fruitful discussions.
- 6.Teichmann SM, Rácz P, Ciappina MF, Pérez-Hernández JA, Thai A, Fekete J, Elezzabi AY, Veisz L, Biegert J, Dombi P (2015) Strong-field plasmonic photoemission in the mid-IR at < 1 GW/cm 2 intensity. Sci Rep 5(7584)Google Scholar
- 16.Raether H (1988) Surface plasmons on smooth and rough surfaces and on gratings. No. 111. k. in Springer tracts in modern physics. Springer. https://books.google.hu/books?id=ZLwrAAAAYAAJ
- 22.Rácz P, Irvine SE, Lenner M, Mitrofanov A, Baltuška A, Elezzabi AY, Dombi P (2011) Strong-field plasmonic electron acceleration with few-cycle, phase-stabilized laser pulses. Appl Phys Lett 98(11)Google Scholar
- 24.Word RC, Fitzgerald J, Könenkamp R (2011) Photoelectron emission control with polarized light in plasmonic metal random structures. Appl Phys Lett 99(4)Google Scholar
- 26.Keldysh LV (1965) Ionization in the field of a strong electromagnetic wave. Sov Phys - JETP 20(5):1307–1314Google Scholar
- 29.Bohren CF, Huffman DR (1983) Absorption and scattering of light by small particles. WileyGoogle Scholar