Processing of high-precision ceramic balls with a spiral V-groove plate
- 564 Downloads
As the demand for high-performance bearings gradually increases, ceramic balls with excellent properties, such as high accuracy, high reliability, and high chemical durability used, are extensively used for highperformance bearings. In this study, a spiral V-groove plate method is employed in processing high-precision ceramic balls. After the kinematic analysis of the ball-spin angle and enveloped lapping trajectories, an experimental rig is constructed and experiments are conducted to confirm the feasibility of this method. Kinematic analysis results indicate that the method not only allows for the control of the ball-spin angle but also uniformly distributes the enveloped lapping trajectories over the entire ball surface. Experimental results demonstrate that the novel spiral Vgroove plate method performs better than the conventional concentric V-groove plate method in terms of roundness, surface roughness, diameter difference, and diameter decrease rate. Ceramic balls with a G3-level accuracy are achieved, and their typical roundness, minimum surface roughness, and diameter difference are 0.05, 0.0045, and 0.105 μm, respectively. These findings confirm that the proposed method can be applied to high-accuracy and high-consistency ceramic ball processing.
Keywordsbearing ceramic ball spiral V-groove kinematic analysis trajectory
The authors wish to thank the National Natural Science Foundation of China for partially supporting this project (Grant No. 51375455).
- 1.Harris T A, Kotzalas M N. Essential Concepts of Bearing Technology. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2006, 25–27Google Scholar
- 2.Bai C, Xu Q. Dynamic model of ball bearings with internal clearance and waviness. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 2006, 294 (1–2): 23–48Google Scholar
- 8.Cheng X, Lin F, Sun X, et al. Lapping motional trajectory analysis on sphere rotor of electrostatic gyroscope. Manufacturing Technology & Machine Tool, 2009, 30(9): 90–93 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.Lee R, Hwang Y, Chiou Y. Lapping of ultra-precision ball surfaces. Part I: Concentric V-groove lapping system. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 2006, 46(10): 1146–1156Google Scholar
- 17.Myszka D H. Machines and Mechanisms: Applied Kinematic Analysis. 4th ed. Boston: Prentice Hall, 2012, 40–65Google Scholar
- 18.Ma W. High efficiency ultra-precision grinding of ceramic balls. Dissertation for the Doctoral Degree. Saga: Saga University, 2013, 80–83Google Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.