Valveless pumping using a two-stage impedance pump
- 246 Downloads
Impedance pump is defined as a type of valveless pumping mechanism, where an elastic tube is joined with a tube of different impedance, a periodic asymmetrical compression on part of the elastic tube will produce a unidirectional flow. Numerical and experimental studies had been conducted in the past, but little experimental work was found to exploit the principle of multi-stage impedance pumping for fluid transportation. This paper concentrates on the fluid behavior for an open-loop two-stage system experimentally. The aim of this work is to have an insight on the deliverable head and pumping rate of an open-loop two-stage impedance pumping system. This paper generally investigates the effect of different parameters towards the generation of unidirectional flows and composite flow of two opposite directions. Results obtained are of significant values.
Keywordsvalveless pumping open-loop two-stage unidirectional composite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Moser M, Huang J W, Schwarz G S, Kenner T, Noordergraaf A. Impedance defined flow generalization ofWilliam Harvey’s concept of the circulation-370 years later. International Journal of Cardiovascular Medical Science, 1998, 1(3-4): 205–211Google Scholar
- 4.Hickerson A I. An experimental analysis of the characteristic behaviours of an impedance pump. Dissertation for the Doctoral Degree. California, USA: California Institute of Technology, 2005Google Scholar
- 9.Loumes L. Multilayer impedance pump: a bio-inspired valveless pump with medical applications. Dissertation for the Doctoral Degree. California, USA: California Institute of Technology, 2007Google Scholar
- 11.Liebau G. Die stromungsprinzipien des herzens. Zietschrift für Kreislauf-forschung, 1955, 44: 677–684 (in German)Google Scholar
- 15.Lee V C C, Yeo Z J, Abakr Y A, Woo K C. Investigation of impedance pumping in large scale applications. In: Proceeding of the International Conference on Mathematical Applications in Engineering, 2010, 433–438Google Scholar
- 16.Lee V C C, Abakr Y A, Woo K C. Numerical investigation of multistage impedance pumping system. In: Proceeding of the 3rd International Conference on Science & Technology: Applications in Industry and Education, 2010Google Scholar
- 17.Lee V C C, Abakr Y A, Woo K C. Experimental investigation of multi-stage impedance pumping system. In: Wahid M A, Samion S, Sheriff J M, Sidik N A C, eds. AIP Conf Proceeding of the 4th International Meeting of Advances in Thermofluids, 2011, 1440: 1206–1211Google Scholar
- 18.Lee V C C, Abakr Y A, Woo K C. A multi-stage impedance pumping system. In: Proceeding of 2011 World Congress on Engineering and Technology, 2011, 807–810Google Scholar
- 19.Lee V C C, Abakr Y A, Woo K C, Al-Atabi M. Experimental investigation of open loop multi-stage impedance pumping system. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 6(5): 551–557Google Scholar
- 20.Lee V C C, Abakr Y A, Woo K C. Impedance pumping system as flow amplification device. In: Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2011 International Conference on Applied Mechanics, Materials and Manufacturing. Trans Tech Publications, 2011Google Scholar