Design and fabrication of superconducting HEB mixer
- 43 Downloads
This paper describes the design and fabrication of superconducting hot electron bolometer (HEB) mixer based on ultra-thin superconducting NbN films. The high quality films were epitaxially grown on high resistance Si substrates. The device was fabricated by magnetron sputtering, electron beam lithography (EBL), reactive ion etching (RIE), lithography, and so on. The device’s resistance-temperature (R-T) curves and current-voltage (I-V) curves were studied. The results of THz response of the device are presented. Y-factor technique was used to measure the device’s noise temperature. When the device was irradiated with a laser radiation of 2.5 THz, the obtained lowest noise temperature of the device was 2213 K.
KeywordsHEB ultra-thin superconducting NbN film planar equiangular spiral antenna noise temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kooi J M, Stern J A, Chattopadhyay G, et al. Low-loss NbTiN films for THz SIS mixer tuning circuits. In: Proceeding of 8th International Symposium on Space THz Technology, 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.Karpov A, Miller D, Rice F, et al. Low noise 1.2 THz SIS receiver. In: Proceeding of the 8th International Superconducting Electronics Conference, 2001. 521–522Google Scholar
- 6.Gerecht E, Musante F C, Zhuang Y, et al. Improved noise temperature and bandwidth of phonon-cooled NbN hot electron bolometric mixers. In: Proceeding of the International Semiconductor Device Research Symposium, 1999. 559Google Scholar
- 8.Walker C K, Kulesa C A. Terahertz astronomy from the coldest place on earth. In: Proceeding of Infrared and Millimeter Waves and 13th International Conference on Terahertz Electronics, 2005Google Scholar
- 12.Boris S K, William R M, Rolf A M. Optimal choice of material for HEB superconducting mixers. IEEE, 1999, 9: 4213–4215Google Scholar
- 15.Khosropanah P, Merkel H, Yngvesson S, et al. A distributed device model for phonon-cooled HEB mixers predicting IV characteristics, gain and noise. In: Proceeding of 11th International Symposium on Space Terahertz Technology, 2000. 474–488Google Scholar
- 16.Wang H B. 90 GHz harmonic mixing based on high temperature superconducting Josephson junction (in Chinese). Chinese Sci Bull (Chinese Ver), 1993, 38: 687Google Scholar