Assessment of stochastic models for GPS measurements with different types of receivers
The stochastic model plays an important role in parameter estimation. The optimal estimator in the sense of least squares can only be obtained by using the correct stochastic model and consequently guarantees the precise positioning in GPS applications. In this contribution, the GPS measurements, collected by different types of geodetic dual-frequency receiver pairs on ultra-short baselines with a sampling interval of 1 s, are used to address their stochastic models, which include the variances of all observation types, the relationship between the observation accuracy and its elevation angle, the time correlation, as well as the correlation between observation types. The results show that the commonly used stochastic model with the assumption that all the raw GPS measurements are independent with the same variance does not meet the need for precise positioning and the elevation-dependent weight model cannot work well for different receiver and observation types. The time correlation and cross correlation are significant as well. It is therefore concluded that the stochastic model is much associated with the receiver and observation types and should be specified for the receiver and observation types.
KeywordsGPS stochastic model elevation dependent weight time correlation cross correlation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu Z C. A universal formulae of maximum likelihood estimation for variance-covariance estimation. J Geod, 1996, 70: 233–240Google Scholar
- 11.Satirapod C, Wang J, Rizos C. A new stochastic modelling procedure for precise static GPS positioning. ZFV, 2001, 126(6): 365–373Google Scholar
- 13.Tiberius C, Kenselaar F. Estimation of the stochastic model for GPS code and phase observation. Surv Rev, 2000, 35(277): 441–454Google Scholar
- 15.Liu X L. A comparison of stochastic models for GPS single differential kinematic positioning. In: Procceedings of ION GPS 2002, 24–27 Sept., Portland. pp: 1830–1841Google Scholar
- 17.He H B, Yang Y X. Real-time estimation of a prior variance-covariance for GPS observations. Acta Geod Cartogr Sin (in Chinese), 2001, 30(1): 42–47Google Scholar
- 18.Bona P. Noise characteristics of Trimble 4700 GPS receiver. GPS Nieuwsbrief, 2000, 15(2): 8–11Google Scholar