Recent discovery of handaxes associated with tektites in the Nanbanshan locality of the Damei site, Bose basin, Guangxi, South China
- 68 Downloads
This paper reports the recent discovery of 176 stone artifacts, including two handaxes (bifacial large cutting tools), which are preserved in the laterized sediments of terrace 4 of the Youjiang River at the Nanbanshan locality of the Damei site in the Bose basin, south China. Their characteristics are similar to Paleolithic stone artifacts discovered from other sites in this basin. The handaxes, picks and other stone artifacts are associated with 155 tektite pieces found in the same horizontal layer. These fresh, unabraded and sharp-edged tektites were buried immediately after the airfall event. This provides further evidence that the Bose stone artifacts and the tektites were deposited simultaneously around 0.8 Ma. More stone artifacts were also unearthed above the tektite layer, indicating that early humans in the area survived the event.
Keywordshandaxes tektites Nanbanshan locality Bose basin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Lin S L. Comments on: Mid-Pleistocene Acheulean-like stone technology of the Bose Basin, South China. Acta Anthropol Sin (in Chinese), 2002, 21(1): 74–82Google Scholar
- 5.Yuan B Y, Ye L F. A chronostratigraphic study of the Lei-Gong-Mo (tektite). Chin Sci Bull, 1979, 24(6): 271–273Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang F, Huang Z T, Mo J Y. Fission-track age of Bobai County and Baise Basin tektite in Guangxi. Chin Sci Bull, 1994, 39(21): 1806–1809Google Scholar
- 7.Zhu Z Y, Zhou H Y, Qiao Y L, et al. Initial strata occurrence of the south China tektite in strata and its implication for event stratigraphy. J Geomech (in Chinese), 2001, 7(4): 296–302Google Scholar
- 8.Huang Z T. Preliminary study on tektites in Guangxi. Geol Geochem (in Chinese), 1995, 218(4): 50–54Google Scholar
- 9.Li Y X, You Y Z. Discovery of palaeolithic artifacts in Bose, Guangxi. Vert PalAs (in Chinese), 1975, 13(4): 225–228Google Scholar
- 10.Huang W W, Leng J, Yuan X F, et al. Advanced opinions on the stratigraphy and chronology of Bose stone industry. Acta Anthropol Sin (in Chinese), 1990, 9(2): 105–112Google Scholar
- 11.Fu X G, Li X W, Li Z, et al. Excavation at the Dingshishan site in Yongning County, Guangxi. Archaeol (in Chinese), 1998, 74(11):11–33Google Scholar