Rapid dendrite growth in quaternary Ni-based alloys
- 39 Downloads
The high undercooling and rapid solidification of Ni-10%Cu-10%Fe-10%Co quaternary alloy were achieved by electromagnetic levitation and glass fluxing techniques. The maximum undercooling of 276 K (0.16TL) was obtained in the experiments. All the solidified samples are determined to be α-Ni single-phase solid solutions by DSC thermal analysis and X-ray diffraction analysis. The microstructure of the α-Ni solid solution phase transfers from dendrite to equiaxed grain with an increase in undercooling, accompanied by the grain refinement effect. When the undercooling is very large, the solute trapping effect becomes quite significant and the microsegregation is suppressed. The experimental measurement of α-Ni dendrite growth velocity indicates that it increases with undercooling according to the relation, V=8×10−2×ΔT1.2.
Keywordshigh undercooling dendrite growth quaternary alloy rapid solidification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Hürlimann E, Trittibach R, Risang U, et al. Intergral parameter of xenon dendrites. Phys Rev E, 1992, 46(10): 6579–6595Google Scholar
- 4.Lipton J, Kurz W, Trivedi R. Rapid dendrite growth in undercooled alloys. Acta Metall, 1987, 35(4): 957–964Google Scholar
- 5.Trivedi R, Lipton J, Kurz W. Effect of growth rate dependent partition coefficient on the dendritic growth in undercooled melts. Acta Metal, 1987, 35(4): 965–970Google Scholar
- 6.Yao W J, Han X J, Wei B. The undercooling and rapid dendritic growth of Cu-Sb in drop tube. Chin Sci Bull, 2002, 47(11): 824–828Google Scholar
- 7.Yao W J, Yang C, Han X J, et al. Rapid dendritic growth in an undercooled Ni-Cu alloy under the microgravity condition. Acta Physica Sinica, 2003, 52(2): 448–453Google Scholar
- 10.Ruan Y, Cao C D, Wei B. The rapid growth of ternary eutectic alloy at high undercooling. Sci China Ser G-Phys, 2004, 34(4): 392–402Google Scholar
- 11.Wang N, Wei B. Thermodynamic properties of highly undercooled liquid TiAl alloy. Appl Phys Lett, 2002, 80(19): 3515–3517Google Scholar
- 12.Subramanian P R, Laughlin D E. Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams (ed. Massalski T B), 1990. 1442Google Scholar
- 13.Swartzendruber L J, Itkin V P, Alock C B. Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams (ed. Massalski T B), 1990. 1735Google Scholar
- 14.Nishizawa T, Lshida K. Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams (ed. Massalski T B), 1990. 1215Google Scholar
- 15.Xie Y Q. Lattice constants of disordered and ordered phases in Au-Cu system. Acta Metall Sinica, 1998, 12(34): 1234–1242Google Scholar