Multi-pair massive MIMO amplify-and-forward relaying system with low-resolution ADCs: performance analysis and power control
- 120 Downloads
In this paper, we focus on a general multi-pair massive MIMO amplify-and-forward (AF) relaying system where the relay antennas employ low-resolution analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) to reduce the hardware cost. First, considering the effect of low quantization on channel estimation, a tight closed form approximation of the system ergodic achievable rate is derived. Second, some asymptotic analysis is presented to reveal the impacts of the system parameters on the achievable rate. Particularly, the generalized power scaling schemes are characterized. The results indicate that in some cases, when the number of relay antennas grows without bound, the impact of the finite resolution ADCs on data transmission can be eliminated. To enhance the achievable rate of the quantized systems, the optimal user and relay power control schemes are proposed. Furthermore, to reap all the benefits of low-resolution ADCs, another power control scheme is also designed to minimize the total power consumption while guaranteeing the quality-of-service (QoS) requirement of each user, which can help draw some useful insights into the optimal ADC resolution from power saving perspectives. The simulation results confirm the accuracy of our theoretical analysis and the effectiveness of the proposed power control schemes.
Keywordsmassive MIMO relaying system imperfect CSI low quantization power control
The work was supported by National Nature Science Foundation of China Project (Grant Nos. 61471058, 61501376, 61601018), Key National Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61461136002), Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Science and Technology Cooperation Projects (Grant No. 2016YFE0122900), 111 Project of China (Grant No. B16006), Fundamental Research Funds of Central University (Grant No. 2015RC035), and Shenzhen Science and Technology Project (Grant No. JSGG20150512153045135).
- 1.Yang A, Xing W C, Fei Z S, et al. Performance analysis for uplink massive MIMO systems with a large and random number of UEs. Sci China Inf Sci, 2016, 59: 022312Google Scholar
- 6.Cai M M, Gao K, Nie D, et al. Effect of wideband beam squint on codebook design in phased-array wireless systems. In: Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference, Washington DC, 2016. 1–6Google Scholar
- 11.Wang Y, Li S D, Li C G, et al. Ergodic rate analysis for massive MIMO relay systems with multi-pair users under imperfect CSI. In: Proceedings of IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing, Orlando, 2015. 33–37Google Scholar
- 24.Bai Q, Mittmann U, Mezghani A, et al. Minimizing the energy per bit for pilot-assisted data transmission over quantized channels. In: Proceedings of IEEE Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communication, Washington DC, 2014. 81–85Google Scholar
- 25.Fan L, Qiao D, Jin S, et al. Optimal pilot length for uplink massive MIMO systems with low-resolution ADC. In: Proceedings of IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop, Rio de Janerio, 2016. 1–5Google Scholar
- 35.Murmann B. Adc performance survey 1997–2016. http://web.stanford.edu/murmann/adcsurvey.htmlGoogle Scholar