A compact 3D block cutting and contact searching algorithm
- 65 Downloads
The geometry relation and the contact point-pairs detection between two three dimensional (3D) objects with arbitrary shapes are essential problems involved in discontinuous computation and computational geometry. This paper reported a geometry relation judgment and contact searching algorithm based on Contact Theory. A contact cover search algorithm is proposed to find all the possible contact cover between two blocks. Two blocks can come to contact only on these covers. Each contact cover can define a possible contact point-pair between two blocks. Data structure and flow chart are provided, as well as some examples in details. Contact problems involving concave blocks or parallel planes are considered to be very difficult in past and are solved by this algorithm. The proposed algorithm is compacted and applicable to the discontinuous computation, such as robotic control, rock mass stability, dam stability etc. A 3D cutting and block searching algorithm is also proposed in this study and used to search the outer boundary of the 3D entrance block when 3D concave blocks are encountered. The 3D cutting and block searching algorithm can be also used to form the block system for jointed rock.
Keywordscontact discontinuous computation block cutting computational geometry jointed rock cover
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Diekmann R, Hungershofer J, Lux M. Efficient contact search for finite element analysis. In: Proceedings of the European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering. Barcelona, 2000Google Scholar
- 10.Wu W, Zhu H, Zhuang X, et al. A Multi-shell cover algorithm for contact detection in the three dimensional discontinuous deformation analysis. Theor Appl Fract Mech, 2014, 72: 136–149Google Scholar
- 14.Chen W S, Zheng H, Cheng Y M, et al. Detection of 3D rock block contacts by penetration edges. Chin J Rock Mech Eng, 2004, 23: 565–571Google Scholar
- 18.He L. Three Dimensional Numerical Manifold Method and Rock Engineering Applications. Dissertation for Dcotoral Degree. Singapore: Nanyang Technological University, 2010Google Scholar
- 21.Konyukhov A, Schweizerhof K. Geometrically exact theory for contact interactions of 1D manifolds. Algorithmic implementation with various finite element models. Comput Methods Appl Mech Eng, 2012, 205–208: 130–138Google Scholar
- 25.Jiao Y Y, Zhang H Q, Tang H M, et al. Simulating the process of reservoir-impoundment-induced landslide using the extended DDA method. EngGeol, 2014, 182: 37–48Google Scholar
- 29.Wang T, Zhou W, Chen J, et al. Simulation of hydraulic fracturing using particle flow method and application in a coal mine. Int J CoalGeol, 2014, 121: 1–13Google Scholar
- 32.Shi G H. Manifold method. In: Proceedings of the First International Forum on Discontinuous Deformation Analysis (DDA) and Simulations of Discontinuous Media. Bekerley, 1996. 52–204Google Scholar