Design for structural flexibility using connected morphable components based topology optimization
- 241 Downloads
In topology optimization of structures considering flexibility, degenerated optimal solutions, such as hinges, gray areas and disconnected structures may appear. In this paper, built upon the newly developed morphable component based topology optimization approach, a novel representation using connected morphable components (CMC) and a linkage scheme are proposed to prevent degenerating designs and to ensure structure integrity. A lower bound condition of the thickness of each component is also incorporated to completely remove the smallest components in an optimal configuration. Designs of flexible structures, such as compliant mechanism design, maximum compliance structure design, and design of low-frequency resonating micro devices are studied to validate the proposed methodology. Our work demonstrates that the new methodology can successfully prevent degeneration solutions and possesses other advantages, such as minimum member size control in topology optimization of flexible structures.
Keywordstopology optimization connected component degenerated designs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Fan J A, Yeo W H, Su Y W, et al. Fractal design concepts for stretchable electronics. Nature Communications, 2014. 5Google Scholar
- 17.Min S, Kikuchi N, Park Y C, et al. Optimal topology design of structures under dynamic loads. Struct Optimiz, 1999; 17: 208–218Google Scholar
- 28.Nishiwaki S, Silva E, Saitou K, et al. Topology optimization of actuators using structural flexibility. In: Proceedings of 3rd WCSMO’99, Buffalo, 1999. 4–6Google Scholar
- 32.Allaire G, Jouve F, Michailidis G. Thickness control in structural optimization via a level set method. 2014. https://hal.archivesouvertes. fr/hal-00985000.Google Scholar
- 37.Bell B, Norato J, Tortorelli D. A geometry projection method for continuum-based topology optimization of structures. In: 12th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference and 14th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Indianapolis, 2012Google Scholar
- 43.Svanberg K. A globally convergent version of MMA without linesearch. In: Proceedings of the First World Congress of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Goslar, Germany, 1995Google Scholar