Constituents from Vitex negundo var. heterophylla and their inhibition of nitric oxide production
- 329 Downloads
An iridoid glucoside, 10-p-hydroxybenzoyl-6β-hydroxyiridoid 1-O-β-d-(6′-O-p-hydroxybenzoyl)-glucopyranoside (1), and a phenol glucoside, 4-hydroxyphenethanol 3-O-β-d-(6′-O-p-hydroxybenzoyl)-glucopyranoside (2), along with nine known compounds (3–11) were isolated from the dried leaves of Vitex negundo var. heterophylla. Their structures were elucidated by extensive analysis of NMR spectra. All of the isolated compounds were evaluated for their inhibitory effects on nitric oxide production in RAW 264.7 macrophages. Compounds 2 and 3 exhibited obvious inhibitory effects on NO production with IC50 values of 30.76 and 49.89 μM, respectively. Molecular docking studies of compounds 2 and 3 with nitric oxide synthase (NOS) further confirmed the above results.
KeywordsVitex negundo var. heterophylla Iridoid Phenol Nitric oxide Molecular docking
This work was financially supported by grants from Key Projects of the National Science and Technology Pillar Program (Grant No. 2012BAI30B02) and Fund of the Educational Department of Liaoning Province (Grant No. L2011177).
- 5.Prasanna K, Karthikeyan V (2015) Preliminary phytochemical, total phenolics and flavonoid content analysis of Vitex negundo and Calatropis gigantea leaf ethanolic extracts. J Chem Pharm Res 7:282–285Google Scholar
- 9.Dos Santos TC, Schripsema J, Monache FD, Suzana GL (2001) Iridoids from Vitex cymosa. J Br Chem Soc 12:763–766Google Scholar
- 12.Jangwan JS, Aquino RP, Mencherini T, Picerno P, Singh R (2015) Chemical constituents of ethanol extract and free radical scavenging activity of Vitex trifolia linn. Acta Chim Pharm Indica 5:1–7Google Scholar
- 18.Kulkarni LA (2011) Pharmacological review on Vitex trifolia Linn. (Verbaeaceae). Pharmacologyonline 3:858–863Google Scholar
- 24.Jiang B, Han WL, Zhang QW, Zhang XQ, Ye WC (2012) Chemical constituents from the aerial roots of Ficus microcarpa. J Chin Med Mater 35:904–908Google Scholar
- 25.Xiao Y, Wang LB, Jin G, Sun R, Hu X, Yang CJ (2012) Studies on phenolic acid constituents of Acanthopanax sessiliflorus fruits. Chin J Med Chem 22:223–226Google Scholar
- 26.Peng DQ, Gao J, Guo XM, Wang JL, Zhang SJ (2014) Chemical constituents from roots of Taraxacum mongolicum. Chin Tradit Patent Med 36:1462–1466Google Scholar
- 27.Zhang SJ, Wang D, Xu C, Wang JL, Zhao M (2014) Chemical constituents from roots of Ixeris chinensis. Chin J Chin Mater Med 39:3089–3093Google Scholar
- 28.Zhao Y, Liang GX, Wang CF, He L (2012) Chemical constituents from Sibiraea angustata. J Beijing Normal Univ 48:621–625Google Scholar