Immunomodulatory effect and quantitation of a cytotoxic glycosphingolipid from Murdannia loriformis
- 288 Downloads
NMR signal reassignments for a cytotoxic glycosphingolipid compound, 2, β-O-D-glucopyranosyl-2-(2′-hydroxy-Z-6′-enecosamide)sphingosine, isolated from an ethanolic extract of the herb Murdannia loriformis, have been achieved by use of FAB-MS, and 1D and 2D 1H and 13C NMR. The amount of 2 in the herb juice was quantitatively determined by use of a validated HPLC method (RP-18, MeOH–H2O, UV detection at 210 nm). The immunomodulatory effect of the herb juice and of 2 was proved by means of in vitro cellular immunological assays. Compound 2 at a concentration of 13 nmol L−1 stimulated PBMC proliferation and increased the CD 3,4:CD 3,8 ratio in T lymphocytes.
KeywordsMurdannia loriformis Commelinaceae Cytotoxic glycosphingolipid β-O-D-glucopyranosyl-2-(2′-hydroxy-Z-6′-enecosamide)sphingosine Quantitative HPLC analysis Immunomodulator
The authors thank the NRCT-JSPS, the Government Pharmaceutical Organization of Thailand and Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand, for financial support. Jiratchariyakul W is very grateful for the EU postdoctoral fellowship at the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Institute of Pharmacy, Freiburg University, Germany.
- 1.Report from the first seminar on herbs and cancer Murdannia loriformis, held by National Cancer Institute of Thailand, Rama VI Rd., Bangkok 10400, June 1988Google Scholar
- 2.Book of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Sichuan 1992:181 (Chinese)Google Scholar
- 3.Wang G, Hou S, Mi L, Wang J, Yuan Y, Xia K (1984) Isolation and identification of polypodine B from Murdannia triguetra (Wall) Bruckn. Zhiwu Xuebao 26:554–557Google Scholar
- 4.Hegnauer R (1964) Chemotaxonomie der Pflanzen. Birkhaeuser Verlag, Basel, Band 3, pp 117–212Google Scholar
- 5.Jiratchariyakul W, Moongkarndi P, Okabe H, Frahm AW (1997) Investigation of anticancer compounds from Murdannia loriformis. In: Proceeding of the first pharma Indochina conference on pharmaceutical sciences, Pharmacy in Harmony. Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, Bangkok, 20–23 May, pp 171–92Google Scholar
- 6.Jiratchariyakul W, Okabe H, Frahm AW (1996) A steroidal glucoside from Murdannia loriformis (Hassk.) Rolla Rao et Kammathy. Thai J Phytopharmacy 3:31–39Google Scholar
- 7.Jiratchariyakul W, Okabe H, Moongkarndi P, Frahm AW (1998) Cytotoxic glycosphingolipid from Murdannia loriformis (Hassk.) Rolla Rao et Kammathy. Thai J Phytopharm 5:10–20Google Scholar