Is Life’s Meaning Ultimately Unthinkable?: Guy Bennett-Hunter on the Ineffable
- 215 Downloads
In this critical notice of Guy Bennett-Hunter’s Ineffability and Religious Experience, I focus on claims he makes about what makes a life meaningful. According to Bennett-Hunter, for human life to be meaningful it must obtain its meaning from what is beyond the human and is ineffable, which constitutes an ultimate kind of meaning. I spell out Bennett-Hunter’s rationale for making this claim, raise some objections to it, and in their wake articulate an alternative conception of ultimate meaning.
KeywordsGod Ineffability Meaning of life Philosophy of religion Religious existentialism
- Baggini, J. (2004). What’s it all about?: Philosophy and the meaning of life. London: Granta Books.Google Scholar
- Bennett-Hunter, G. (2014). Ineffability and religious experience. London: Pickering & Chatto (Publishers) Ltd.Google Scholar
- Bond, E. J. (1983). Reason and value. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Cooper, D. (2003). Meaning. Durham: Acumen Publishing.Google Scholar
- Kant, I. (1787). Critique of pure reason, 2nd edn. A. Wood and P. Guyer (Trans.). New York: Cambridge University Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- Markus, A. (2003). Assessing views of life: a subjective affair? Religious Studies, 39, 125–143.Google Scholar
- Metz, T. (2013a). The meaning of life, rev. edn. In E. Zalta (Ed.) Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/life-meaning/.
- Nagel, T. (1987). What does it all mean? New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Nozick, R. (1981). Philosophical explanations. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Nozick, R. (1989). The examined life. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Seachris, J. (2011). Meaning of life: Contemporary analytic perspectives. In J. Fieser & B. Dowden (Eds.) Internet encyclopedia of philosophy. http://www.iep.utm.edu/mean-ana/.
- Taylor, R. (1985). Ethics, faith, and reason. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall Inc..Google Scholar
- Thomson, G. (2003). On the meaning of life. South Melbourne: Wadsworth.Google Scholar
- Waghorn, N. (2014). Nothingness and the meaning of life: Philosophical approaches to ultimate meaning through nothing and reflexivity. London: Bloomsbury.Google Scholar