Provably Secure Role-Based Encryption with Revocation Mechanism
- 208 Downloads
Role-Based Encryption (RBE) realizes access control mechanisms over encrypted data according to the widely adopted hierarchical RBAC model. In this paper, we present a practical RBE scheme with revocation mechanism based on partial-order key hierarchy with respect to the public key infrastructure, in which each user is assigned with a unique private-key to support user identification, and each role corresponds to a public group-key that is used to encrypt data. Based on this key hierarchy structure, our RBE scheme allows a sender to directly specify a role for encrypting data, which can be decrypted by all senior roles, as well as to revoke any subgroup of users and roles. We give a full proof of security of our scheme against hierarchical collusion attacks. In contrast to the existing solutions for encrypted file systems, our scheme not only supports dynamic joining and revoking users, but also has shorter ciphertexts and constant-size decryption keys.
Keywordscryptography role-based encryption role hierarchy key hierarchy collusion security revocation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Sandhu R, Ferraiolo D F, Kuhn D R. The nist model for role-based access control: Towards a unified standard. In Proc. the 5th ACM Workshop on Role Based Access Control (RBAC), Berlin, Germany, Jul. 26–27, 2000, pp.47-63.Google Scholar
- Zhu Y, Ahn G J, Hu H X, Wang H X. Cryptographic role-based security mechanisms based on role-key hierarchy. In Proc. the 5th ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS), Beijing, China, Apr. 13–16, 2010, pp.314-319.Google Scholar
- Akl S G, Taylor P D. Cryptographic solution to a multilevel security problem. In Proc. Advances in Cryptology: CRYPTO, Santa Barbara, USA, 1982, pp.237-249.Google Scholar
- Wallner D M, Harder E G, Agee R C. Key management for multicast: Issues and architecture. Internet Draft, draft-waller-key-arch-01.txt, 1998.Google Scholar
- Wong C K, Gouda M, Lam S S. Secure group communications using key graphs. In Proc. the Annual Conference of the Association for Computing Machinery's Special Interest Group on Data Communication (SIGCOMM), Vancouver, Canada, Sept. 2–4, 1998, 28, pp.68-79.Google Scholar
- Naor D, Naor M, Lotspiech J. Revocation and tracing schemes for stateless receivers. In Proc. the 21st Annual International Cryptology Conference (CRYPTO), Santa Barbara, USA, Aug. 19–23, 2001, pp.41-62.Google Scholar
- Halevy D, Shamir A. The LSD broadcast encryption scheme. In Proc. the 22nd International Cryptology Conference (Crypto), Santa Barbara, USA, Aug. 18–22, 2002, pp.47-60.Google Scholar
- Boneh D, Franklin M. Identity-based encryption from the weil pairing. In Proc. the 21st Annual International Cryptology Conference (CRYPTO), Santa Barbara, USA, Aug. 19–23, 2001, pp.213-229.Google Scholar
- Gentry C, Silverberg A. Hierarchical ID based cryptography. In Proc. the 8th International Conference on the Theory and Application of Cryptology and Information Security (ASIACRYPT), Queenstown, New Zealand, Dec. 1–5, 2002, pp.548-566.Google Scholar
- Sahai A, Waters B. Fuzzy identity-based encryption. In Proc. the 24th Annual International Conference on the Theory and Applications of Cryptographic Techniques (EUROCRYPT), Aarhus, Denmark, May 22–26, 2005, pp.457-473.Google Scholar
- Goyal V, Pandey O, Sahai A, Waters B. Attribute-based encryption for ¯ne-grained access control of encrypted data. In Proc. the 13th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), Alexandria, USA, Oct. 30-Nov. 3, 2006, pp.89-98.Google Scholar
- Ostrovsky R, Sahai A, Waters B. Attribute-based encryption with non-monotonic access structures. In Proc. the 14th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), Alexandria, USA, Oct. 28–31, 2007, pp.195-203.Google Scholar
- Chase M. Multi-authority attribute based encryption. In Proc. the 4th Theory of Cryptography Conference (TCC), Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Feb. 21–24, 2007, pp.515-534.Google Scholar
- Bethencourt J, Sahai A, Waters B. Ciphertext-policy attribute-based encryption. In Proc. 2007 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (S&P), Oakland, USA, May 20–23, 2007, pp.321-334.Google Scholar
- Waters B. Ciphertext-policy attribute-based encryption: An expressive, efficient, and provably secure realization. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2008/290, 2008, http://eprint.iacr.org/.
- Goyal V, Jain A, Pandey O, Sahai A. Bounded ciphertext policy attribute based encryption. In Proc. the 35th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming, Part II ― Track B: Logic, Semantics, and Theory of Programming & Track C: Security and Cryptography Foundations (ICALP(2)), Reykjavik, Iceland, Jul. 7–11, 2008, pp.579-591.Google Scholar
- Ibraimi L, Tang Q, Hartel P H, Jonker W. Efficient and provable secure ciphertext-policy attribute-based encryption schemes. In Proc. the 5th International Conference on Information Security Practice and Experience (ISPEC), Xi'an, China, Apr. 13–15, 2009, pp.1-12.Google Scholar
- Attrapadung N, Imai H. Dual-policy attribute based encryption. In Proc. the 7th International Conference on Applied Cryptography and Network Security (ACNS), Paris, France, Jun. 2–5, 2009, pp.168-185.Google Scholar
- Wang L Y, Wijesekera D, Jajodia S. A logic-based framework for attribute based access control. In Proc. the 2004 ACM Workshop on Formal Methods in Security Engineering (FMSE), Washington DC, USA, Oct. 29, 2004, pp.45-55.Google Scholar
- Schoinas I, Falsafi B, Lebeck A R, Reinhardt S K, Larus J R, Wood D A. Fine-grain access control for distributed shared memory. In Proc. the 6th International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS), San Jose, USA, Oct. 4–7, 1994, pp.297-306.Google Scholar
- Shahandashti S F, Naini R S. Threshold attribute-based sig natures and their application to anonymous credential systems. In Proc. the 2nd International Conference on Cryptology in Africa (AFRICACRYPT), Gammarth, Tunisia, Jun. 21–25, 2009, pp.198-216.Google Scholar
- Maji H, Prabhakaran M, Rosulek M. Attribute-based signatures: Achieving attribute-privacy and collusion- resistance. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2008/328, 2008, http://eprint.iacr.org/.
- Attrapadung N, Imai H. Attribute-based encryption supporting direct/indirect revocation modes. In Proc. the 12th IMA International Conference on Cryptography and Coding, Cirencester, UK, Dec. 15–17, 2009, pp.278-300.Google Scholar
- Boneh D, Boyen X, Goh E J. Hierarchical identity based encryption with constant size ciphertext. In Proc. the 24th Annual International Conference on the Theory and Applications of Cryptographic Techniques (EUROCRYPT), Aarhus, Denmark, May 22–26, 2005, pp.440-456.Google Scholar
- Boneh D, Gentry C, Waters B. Collusion resistant broadcast encryption with short ciphertexts and private keys. In Proc. the 25th Annual International Cryptology Conference (CRYPTO), Santa Barbara, USA, Aug. 14–18, 2005, pp.258-275.Google Scholar
- Toahchoodee M, Xie X, Ray I. Towards trustworthy delegation in role-based access control model. In Proc. the 12th International Conference on Information Security (ISC), Pisa, Italy, Sept. 7–9, 2009, pp.379-394.Google Scholar
- Microsoft Corporation. How encrypting file system works. Microsoft TechNet Report, 2009, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781588(WS.10).aspx.
- SEC1. Standards for efficient cryptograhy group: Elliptic curve cryptography, Version 1.0, 2000.Google Scholar
- SEC2. Standards for efficient cryptograhy group: Recommended elliptic curve domain parameters, Version 1.0, 2000.Google Scholar
- Su D, Lv K W. A new hard-core predicate of paillier's trapdoor function. In Proc. the 10th International Conference on Cryptology in India (INDOCRYPT), New Delhi, India, Dec. 13–16, 2009, pp.263-271.Google Scholar