Skip to main content
Log in

Exploring soil radon (Rn) concentrations and their connection to geological and meteorological factors

  • Research Article
  • Published:
Environmental Science and Pollution Research Aims and scope Submit manuscript

Abstract

The relationship between soil radon and meteorological parameters in a region can provide insight into natural processes occurring between the lithosphere and the atmosphere. Understanding this relationship can help models establish more realistic results, rather than depending on theoretical consequences. Radon variation can be complicated to model due to the various physical variables which can affect it, posing a limitation in atmospheric studies. To predict Rn variation from meteorological parameters, a hybrid mod el called multiANN, which is a combination of multi-regression and artificial neural network (ANN) models, is established. The model was trained with 70% of the data and tested on the remaining 30%, and its robustness was tested using the Monte-Carlo method. The regions with low performance are identified and possibly related to seismic events. This model can be a good candidate for predicting Rn concentrations from meteorological parameters and establishing the lower boundary conditions in seismo-ionospheric coupling models.

This is a preview of subscription content, log in via an institution to check access.

Access this article

Subscribe and save

Springer+ Basic
EUR 32.99 /Month
  • Get 10 units per month
  • Download Article/Chapter or Ebook
  • 1 Unit = 1 Article or 1 Chapter
  • Cancel anytime
Subscribe now

Buy Now

Price excludes VAT (USA)
Tax calculation will be finalised during checkout.

Instant access to the full article PDF.

Fig. 1
Fig. 2
Fig. 3
Fig. 4
Fig. 5
Fig. 6
Fig. 7
Fig. 8
Fig. 9
Fig. 10

Similar content being viewed by others

Data availability

The earthquake data used in this study can be accessed from Boğaziçi University at the following URL: http://www.koeri.boun.edu.tr/sismo/2/earthquake-catalog/. The meteorological data utilized in this research can be obtained from the Turkish State Meteorological Service website: https://www.mgm.gov.tr/eng/forecast-cities.aspx. Additionally, the Rn data used in this study is available from AFAD-Republic of Türkiye Ministry of Interior Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency at the following website: https://en.afad.gov.tr/.

References

Download references

Author information

Authors and Affiliations

Authors

Contributions

All authors contributed to the study conception and design. The introduction section was written by I.I.N. Methodology and results were designed and prepared by A.M. and I. Y.M. The abstract and conclusion were done by S.J.D. The first draft of the manuscript was written by S.J.D., and all authors commented on previous versions of the manuscript. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.

The final manuscript is read and approved by the authors.

Corresponding author

Correspondence to Salim Jibrin Danbatta.

Ethics declarations

Ethical approval

Not applicable.

Consent to participate

Not applicable.

Consent for publication

Not applicable.

Competing interests

The authors declare no competing interests.

Additional information

Responsible Editor: Georg Steinhauser

Publisher's Note

Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.

Supplementary Information

Rights and permissions

Springer Nature or its licensor (e.g. a society or other partner) holds exclusive rights to this article under a publishing agreement with the author(s) or other rightsholder(s); author self-archiving of the accepted manuscript version of this article is solely governed by the terms of such publishing agreement and applicable law.

Reprints and permissions

About this article

Check for updates. Verify currency and authenticity via CrossMark

Cite this article

Muhammad, A., Danbatta, S.J., Muhammad, I.Y. et al. Exploring soil radon (Rn) concentrations and their connection to geological and meteorological factors. Environ Sci Pollut Res 31, 565–578 (2024). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-023-31237-6

Download citation

  • Received:

  • Accepted:

  • Published:

  • Issue Date:

  • DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-023-31237-6

Keywords

Navigation