Protective effect of Astragaloside IV to inhibit thiram-induced tibial dyschondroplasia
- 40 Downloads
Tibial dyschondroplasia (TD) is most the common tibiotarsal bone disease in rapidly growing birds throughout the world. There is accumulating evidence that COX-2 abnormal expression in tibia plays an important role in TD progression. So, the regulation of COX-2 is an ever more appealing target for therapeutic intervention in TD. Astragaloside IV has an indispensable role in maintaining COX-2 expression in many diseases. So, we designed this study to use Astragaloside IV (AST-IV) against TD-affected chickens. A total of 180 Arbor Acres chickens were randomly divided in the control group, TD group, and Astr (AST-IV-treated chickens) group. During the experiment, mortality, feed conversion ratio, physiological changes, biochemical criterion, liver antioxidant enzymes, and gene expression of COX-2 were examined in all the chicken groups at various days. The results showed that AST-IV administration restored the growth performance and tibia lesions and decreased the mortality as compared with TD chickens. The biochemical criterion (ALP, AST, and ALT) of serum and liver antioxidant enzymes (SOD, GSH-Px, MDA, and T-AOC) improved after the administration of AST-IV. The COX-2 gene was upregulated significantly (P < 0.05) in TD chickens. Whereas, AST-IV treatment downregulated both gene and protein expression of COX-2 significantly (P < 0.05) in TD-affected chickens. AST-IV recovered tibial dyschondroplasia chickens by increasing the growth performance, ameliorating tibial cartilage damage, and decreasing COX-2 expression. In conclusion, AST-IV can be used to prevent thiram-induced TD in chickens.
KeywordsTibial dyschondroplasia (TD) Thiram Astragaloside IV COX-2 Chickens
The study was supported by the National Key R&D Program of China (Project no. 2017YFD0502200).
Compliance with ethical standards
Animals experiment was conducted under the Institutional Animal Care and Use committees of Huazhong Agricultural University approval (31272517), China.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interest.
- Bian Q, Huang JH, Liang QQ, Shu B, Hou W, Xu H et al (2011) The osteogenetic effect of astragaloside iv with centrifugating pressure on the oct-1 cells. Die Pharmazie- An International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 66:63–68Google Scholar
- Chen, C. J., Daoud, S., Kierszenbaum, A., Levy, R., Rogers, J., & Vinkler, A. (2014). Endochondral ossificationGoogle Scholar
- Foitzik T, Hotz HG, Hotz B, Wittig F, Buhr HJ (2003) Selective inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 (cox-2) reduces prostaglandin e2 production and attenuates systemic disease sequelae in experimental pancreatitis. Hepato-Gastroenterol 50(52):1159–1162Google Scholar
- Iqbal MK, Nabi F, Mehmood K, Rehman MU, Huang S, Zhang H, Zhang L, Ahmad HI, Iqbal M, Li J, Shen Y (2018b) Healing of growth plate cartilage by hypoxia inducible factor-1α inhibitor apigenin on thiram induced tibial dyschondroplasia. Pak Vet J 38(2):143–148Google Scholar
- Luo H, Li K, Weng S, Bai Y, Zhang H, Mehmood K, Shahzad M, Wang J (2018) Assessment of serum trace elements in thiram induced tibial dyschondroplasia chickens. Pak Vet J 38:101–104Google Scholar
- Mehmood K, Zhang H, Jiang X, Yao W, Tong X, Iqbal MK, Rehman MU, Iqbal M, Waqas M, Qamar H, Zhang J, Li J (2019) Ligustrazine recovers thiram-induced tibial dyschondroplasia in chickens: involvement of new molecules modulating integrin beta 3. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 168:205–211CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nabi F, Li K, Shahzad M et al (2016a) Gambogic acid inhibits Hsp90 expressions in thiram-induced tibial dyschondroplasia. Pak Vet J 36:224–226Google Scholar
- Rasaputra KS, Liyanage R, Lay JJ, Lay JO Jr, Slavik MF, Rath NC (2013) Effect of thiram on avian growth plate chondrocytes in culture. J ToxicolSci 38:93–101Google Scholar
- Shahzad M, Liu JY, Gao JF, Wang Z, Zhang D, Nabi F, Li JK (2014) Hsp-90 inhibitor geldanamycin attenuates liver oxidative stress and toxicity in thiram-induced tibialdyschondroplasia. Pak Vet J 34:545–547Google Scholar
- Zhang H, Mehmood K, Jiang X, Yao W, Iqbal M, Li K, Tong X, Wang L, Wang M, Zhang L, Nabi F, Rehman MU, Li J (2018b) Effect of icariin on tibial dyschondroplasia incidence and tibial characteristics by regulating P2RX7 in chickens. Biomed Res Int 2018(6796271):11Google Scholar
- Zhang H, Mehmood K, Jiang X, Li Z, Yao W, Zhang J, Tong X, Wang Y, Li A, Waqas M, Iqbal M, Li J (2019) Identification of differentially expressed MiRNAs profile in a thiram-induced tibial dyschondroplasia. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 175:83–89Google Scholar