Laboratory studies on nitrate redistribution during the freezing process of a water-saturated sand system
- 363 Downloads
The process of ice crystal formation by ejecting salt into a pore solution increases the solution’s concentration. However, the redistribution law of solutes in ice-containing soils is not well understood. We designed new equipment to obtain the unfrozen solution and study the nitrate redistribution. Our work investigates the mechanism of nitrate redistribution during the freezing of a saturated medium system. The results showed that the polysized grain samples had a higher freezing rate and lower salt discharge efficiency than the monosized grain samples. The influence of the freezing temperature and the initial concentration on the nitrate redistribution was dependent on the medium’s particle size. For the samples with particle sizes between 150 and 250 um, the ejection efficiency decreased with the increase of the freezing temperature and decreased with the increase of the initial concentration at the same frozen ratio. However, for the samples with particle sizes between 250 and 500 um, the two factors had no significant effect on the nitrate expulsion. These results will provide a theoretical basis for the treatment of nitrate in groundwater.
KeywordsFreezing Nitrate redistribution Concentration ratio Soil particle size Polysized grain Unfrozen solution pockets
This study was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 41572225) and National Science and Technology Major Project in the 13th 5-Year Plan Period under Grant (No. 2016ZX05040-002-003).
- Cheng GD, Jin HJ (2013) Groundwater in the permafrost regions on the Qinghai-Tibet plateau and it changes. Hydrogeol Eng Geol 40(1):1–11Google Scholar
- Fu H-M, Jin YX (2009) Primary discussion on nitrate contamination of groundwater. Ground Water 19(7):1275–1279Google Scholar
- Hui B, Wei M (2011) Laboratory investigation of the freezing point of saline soil. Cold Reg Sci Technol 67(1):79-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2011.02.008
- Jin ZF, Tumarbay H, Mou HC, Mujiang M, Wen-Juan LI (2013) Soil water and salt migration in cotton field under soil freezing-thawing temperature. Arid Zone Res 30(4):623–627Google Scholar
- Zhang DF, Zheng QH, Dong ZY (2005) Mechanism of soil salt-moisture transfer under freeze-thawing condition. Bull Soil Water Conserv 25(6):14–18Google Scholar