Attitudes and behaviour towards construction waste minimisation: a comparative analysis between China and the USA
- 602 Downloads
With the spread of the concept of sustainable development, people have gained awareness about the problem of massive illegal dumping of construction waste. In this research, a questionnaire survey was carried out in the USA and China. The results indicated the following. (1) Workers in both the countries had positive minimisation attitudes, and the attitude of Chinese construction workers was not significantly different from that of American construction workers. Furthermore, their average values were 3.9 and 4.07, respectively. (2) Business owners had a poor understanding of the obligations that should be fulfilled by contractors and construction workers, which greatly reduced (a) construction workers’ and contractors’ motivation to implement waste minimisation management and (b) the benefit-driven effect. (3) In terms of perceived behavioural control, Chinese construction workers had poorer minimisation technologies and knowledge than American construction workers, and it was very difficult for them to implement construction waste minimisation. The research conclusions and relevant suggestions may be used to improve the construction waste minimisation behaviour and awareness of Chinese people and promote China’s construction waste minimisation management.
KeywordsConstruction waste Behavioural awareness Minimisation Comparative analysis
The authors would like to acknowledge the valuable suggestions of the editor and three anonymous reviewers.
The research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (71501052) and Foundation of Department of Education of Guangdong Province (2014WQNCX073).
- Ajzen, I., Kuhl, J., Beckmann, J (1985) From intentions to actions: a theory of planned behavior. In: (Eds.), Action control. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 11–39Google Scholar
- Chu PY, Chiu JF (2003) Factors influencing household waste recycling behavior: test of an integrated model 1. J Appl Soc Psychol 33(3):604–626. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2003.tb01915.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen LK (2008) A study on wasteful behavior and consciousness of construction waste. Chongqing University, Chongqing (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Ding ZK, Yi GZ, Huang TY (2016a) An environmental impact assessment model of construction waste reduction management. J Disaster Prev Mitig Eng 36(1):100–106Google Scholar
- Hussey HJ, Skoyles ER (1974) Wastage of materials. Building 22(2):91–94Google Scholar
- Koskela L (1992) Application of the new production philosophy to construction (Technical Report No.72, − Center for Integrated Facility Engineering. Department of Civil Engineering). Stanford University, Stanford, CAGoogle Scholar
- Le L (1997) A system dynamics investigation of environmental attitudes and behaviors influencing solid waste reduction.– The U.S. Air University Department of Air ForceGoogle Scholar
- LI JR, Zhong XZ, Cai H (2015b) Survey of the trends about the behavior of construction waste reduction in Shenzhen City. J Eng Manag 29(6):39–42Google Scholar
- Liu JK, Pang YS, Wang D. Zhou JW (2017) An empirical investigation of construction and demolition waste management in China’s Pearl River Delta. In: Proceedings of the 21th International Symposium on Advancement of Construction Management and Real Estate. Springer,197–212.doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-6190-5_19
- Pu GB, Sun KW, Wu YS (2006) The definition of solid wastes reduction. Environ Health Eng 14(11):50–53Google Scholar
- Tan XN (2011) A research on construction waste reduction behaviors..Xi ‘an:Xi ‘an university of architecture and technologyGoogle Scholar
- Wu Z, Xiang R, Liu G (2011) Minimization management of construction and demolition waste under systemic view. Constr Econo 2:101–104Google Scholar
- Wu Z, Yu ATW, Wei Y (2015) Predicting contractor’s behavior toward construction and demolition waste management. In: Proceedings of the 19th International Symposium on Advancement of Construction Management and Real Estate. Springer, 869–875. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-46994-1_71
- Yuan HP, Sun HW (2016) Study on willingness to reduce management of construction waste minimization willingness. Sci Technol Progress Policy 33(16):48–52Google Scholar
- Yuan HP, Li AC (2018) Construction workers’ waste reduction behavior based on the theory of planned behavior. J Huaqiao Univ (Philosophy & Social Sciences). (1): 36–44Google Scholar
- Yuan HP, Wang J (2018) Research on behavior of construction waste minimization of management personnel. Sci Technol Manag Res. (3): 261–266. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1000-7695.2018.03.039
- Zhu JL, LI JR (2011) Investigation the influencing factors of construction worker’s waste minimization behavior: the Shenzhen case. J Eng Manag 25(6):634–637Google Scholar
- Zhu JL, Li JR (2012) Construction personnel attitude and behavior on construction waste minimization. J Civ Eng Manag 29(2):39–44Google Scholar