Regenerable, innovative porous silicon-based polymer-derived ceramics for removal of methylene blue and rhodamine B from textile and environmental waters
- 197 Downloads
The presence of residual color in treated textile wastewater above the regulation limits is still a critical issue in many textile districts. Innovative, polymer-derived ceramics of the Si–C–O system were here synthesized in order to obtain porous nanocomposite materials where a free carbon phase is dispersed into a silicon carbide/silicon oxycarbide network. The sorbents were comprehensively characterized for the removal of two model water-soluble dyes (i.e., the cation methylene blue and the zwitterion rhodamine B). Adsorption is very rapid and controlled by intra-particle and/or film diffusion, depending on dye concentration. Among the nanocomposites studied, the SiOC aerogel (total capacity about 45 mg/g, is easily regenerated under mild treatment (250 °C, 2 h). Adsorption of dyes is not affected by the matrix composition: removals of 150 mg/L methylene blue from river water and simulated textile wastewater with high content of metal ions (2–50 mg/L) and chemical oxygen demand (800 mg/L) were higher than 92% and quantitative for a dye concentration of 1 mg/L.
KeywordsDyes Textile wastewater Adsorption Polymer-derived ceramics Regeneration
MCB would like to express her gratitude to Dr. Francesca Orzi for her technical support.
The authors greatly acknowledge the financial support of “Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Trento e Rovereto” under the contract: polymer-derived ceramics with hierarchical porosity for water filtration/purification (grant number 2015.0174). Financial support from Ministero dell’Istruzione e della Ricerca (MIUR, Italy) is also acknowledged.
- Caldarola D, Mitev DP, Marlin L, Nesterenko EP, Paull B, Onida B, Bruzzoniti MC, De Carlo RM, Sarzanini C, Nesterenko PN (2014) Functionalisation of mesoporous silica gel with 2-[(phosphonomethyl)-amino] acetic acid functional groups. Characterisation and application. Appl Surf Sci 288:373–380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2013.10.035 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ChemAxon Ltd. (2016) Chemicalize, www.chemicalize.org
- Colombo P (2010) Polymer derived ceramics: from Nano-structure to applications. DEStech Publications. https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470880630
- Colombo P, Mera G, Riedel R, Sorarù GD (2010) Polymer-derived ceramics: 40 years of research and innovation in advanced ceramics. J Am Ceram Soc 93:1805–1837Google Scholar
- Ghaly A, Ananthashankar R, Alhattab M, Ramakrishnan V (2014) Production, characterization and treatment of textile effluents: a critical review. J Chem Eng Process Technol 2014Google Scholar
- Jana P, Bruzzoniti MC, Appendini M, Rivoira L, Del Bubba M, Rossini D, Ciofi L, Sorarù GD (2016) Processing of polymer-derived silicon carbide foams and their adsorption capacity for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Ceram Int 42(16):18937–18943. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2016.09.045 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Melis M (2014) Additivi e tossici negli alimenti. libreriauniversitaria. it EdizioniGoogle Scholar
- Meng L, Zhang X, Tang Y, Su K, Kong J (2015) Hierarchically porous silicon–carbon–nitrogen hybrid materials towards highly efficient and selective adsorption of organic dyes. Sci Rep 5(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/srep07910
- Nguyen VL, Zera E, Perolo A, Campostrini R, Li W, Sorarù GD (2015b) Synthesis and characterization of polymer-derived SiCN aerogel. J Eur Ceram Soc 35(12):3295–3302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2015.04.018 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Richardson M (2008) Chemical safety: international reference manual. John Wiley & SonsGoogle Scholar
- Spagni A, Grilli S, Casu S, Mattioli D (2010) Treatment of a simulated textile wastewater containing the azo-dye reactive orange 16 in an anaerobic-biofilm anoxic–aerobic membrane bioreactor. Int Biodeter Biodegradation 64(7):676–681. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibiod.2010.08.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tian Y, Cui G, Liu Y, Li H, Sun Z, Yan S (2016) Self-assembly synthesis of hollow double silica@ mesoporous magnesium silicate magnetic hierarchical nanotubes with excellent performance for fast removal of cationic dyes. Appl Surf Sci 387:631–641. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2016.06.158 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Umoren S, Etim U, Israel A (2013) Adsorption of methylene blue from industrial effluent using poly (vinyl alcohol). J Mater Environ Sci 4:75–86Google Scholar
- Weber WJ, Morris JC (1964) Kinetics of adsorption on carbon from solution. J Sanit Eng Div Am Soc Civ Eng 89:31–59Google Scholar
- Yu Z, Feng Y, Li S, Pei Y (2016) Influence of the polymer–polymer miscibility on the formation of mesoporous SiC(O) ceramics for highly efficient adsorption of organic dyes. J Eur Ceram Soc 36(15):3627–3635. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2016.02.003 CrossRefGoogle Scholar