Heavy metal (Cu, Cd, Pb, Cr) washing from river sediment using biosurfactant rhamnolipid
- 422 Downloads
Heavy metal-contaminated sediments posed a serious threat to both human beings and environment. A biosurfactant, rhamnolipid, was employed as the washing agent to remove heavy metals in river sediment. Batch experiments were conducted to test the removal capability. The effects of rhamnolipid concentration, washing time, solution pH, and liquid/solid ratio were investigated. The speciation of heavy metals before and after washing in sediment was also analyzed. Heavy metal washing was favored at high concentration, long washing time, and high pH. In addition, the efficiency of washing was closely related to the original speciation of heavy metals in sediment. Rhamnolipid mainly targeted metals in exchangeable, carbonate-bound or Fe-Mn oxide-bound fractions. Overall, rhamnolipid biosurfactant as a washing agent could effectively remove heavy metals from sediment.
KeywordsBiosurfactant Heavy metals Rhamnolipid River sediment Washing
This work was supported by Shanghai Natural Science Foundation (14ZR1428900), China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (2017M611590) National Natural Science Foundation of China (51078233), Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars, State Education Ministry (SEM2013), and Shanghai Committee of Science and Technology (13230502300).
- Alonso Castillo ML, Vereda Alonso E, Siles Cordero MT, Cano Pavón JM, García De Torres A (2011) Fractionation of heavy metals in sediment by using microwave assisted sequential extraction procedure and determination by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Microchem J 98:234–239CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Förstner U, Wittmann GTW (1979) Metal pollution in the aquatic environment. Springer-Verlag, pp 163–168Google Scholar
- His E, Beiras R, Seaman M (2000) The assessment of marine pollution-bioassays with bivalve embryos and larvae. Adv Mar Bio 37:1–178Google Scholar
- Salomons W, Förstner U (2008) Trace metal analysis on polluted sediments. Environ Technol Letters 1:494–505Google Scholar
- Wan J, Meng D, Long T, Ying R, Ye M, Zhang S, Li Q, Zhou Y, Lin Y (2015) Simultaneous removal of lindane, lead and cadmium from soils by rhamnolipids combined with citric acid. PLoS One 10:1–14Google Scholar