Effects of different soil remediation methods on inhibition of lead absorption and growth and quality of Dianthus superbus L.
Heavy metal pollution in soil poses a serious threat to the growth of plants used in traditional Chinese medicine. Therefore, a pot experiment was conducted to study the effects of various soil remediation methods on the performance of Herba Dianthi (Dianthus superbus L.) grown on Pb-contaminated soil. The results show that inoculation of Herba Dianthi with arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) led to a significant reduction in Pb uptake (P< 0.05), and increased root development and root-to-shoot ratio compared to untreated control plants, along with the highest content of active components. When planting with Trifolium repens, the reduction effect of Pb absorption was insignificant. Herba Dianthi showed improved growth and active ingredients, and the lowest Pb content, with AMF inoculation. The addition of EDTA decreased the growth of Herba Dianthi, but promoted the absorption of Pb. The inhibition of tumor cells was highest in E2. In conclusion, inoculation with AMF can ensure that plant lead content meets testing standards, helping to improve the quality of medicinal herbs.
KeywordsLead pollution Dianthus superbus L. AM fungi EDTA Emodin
- Duan DC, Yu MG, Shi J-Y (2014) Research advances in uptake, translocation, accumulation and detoxification of Pb in plants. Chin J Appl Ecol 25(1):287–296Google Scholar
- Guo HQ, Yang ZH, Li HL et al (2011) Environmental quality and anthropogenic pollution assessment of heavy metals in topsoil of Hebei plain. Geol China 38(1):218–225 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- He YH, Du HY, Ma ZP et al (1998) Determination of the contents of heavy metals in Chinese crude drugs by UV spectrophotometry. Chin Tradit Herb Drug 29(6):386–387 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Kong FM, Shi YX, Feng G et al (2007) Effects of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi on heavy metal tolerance of clover in contaminated soil. Chin J Eco-Agric 15(3):92–96Google Scholar
- Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Co-operation. Green Trade Standards of Importing & Exporting Medicinal Plants & Preparations [EB/OL]. (2001-07-01) [2017-01-03]. http://ggfg.policy.mofcom.gov.cn/claw/clawContent.shtml?id=9479
- Wang XF, Luo X-D, Pi YQ (2011) Influence of EDTA on chlorophyll in Pb, Cd and Pb-Cd compound polluted Chrysanthemum coronarium. Environ Sci Technol 34(1):52–55Google Scholar
- Zhou YZ, Wang J, Zeng H et al (2015) Spatial characteristics of soil heavy metal pollution in inner Mongolia. Ecol Environ Sci 24(8):1381–1387Google Scholar