ECOFUN-MICROBIODIV: an FP7 European project for developing and evaluating innovative tools for assessing the impact of pesticides on soil functional microbial diversity—towards new pesticide registration regulation?
- 307 Downloads
Conventional agriculture is still relying on the use of fertilizers and pesticides, with consequent toxicological pressure on the environment and on human through food chain accumulation and reproductive repercussions under “the thematic strategy for soil protection”; the European Soil Framework Directive (COM(2006)232) clearly identifies agricultural practices as a major threat for soil biodiversity and functioning (Van Camp et al. 2004). The issue was also highlighted by the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005), an international effort to draw an inventory of global ecosystems, which identified agriculture as a major threat for soil ecosystemic services such as nutrient cycling. Depending on agricultural practices, farmers can either contribute to increasing or decreasing carbon storage in agricultural soils (Fontaine et al. 2007). In addition, the nitrogen and phosphorous deposited onto agricultural lands through fertilization can be transported to the atmosphere or leach to...
KeywordsEuropean Union Sulfonylurea Soil Microbial Community Soil Microflora Plant Protection Product
We would like to thank Professor Ralf Hanatscheck and Christian Schache from the International Bureau of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research at the Project Management Agency c/o German Aerospace Center (DLR, Bonn, Germany) for their helpful and efficient management of the SEE-ERA-NET-PLUS program. Annie Buchwalter is thanked for editing the manuscript.
- Gregoire C, Elsaesser D, Huguenot D, Lange J, Lebeau T, Merli A, Mose R, Passeport E, Payraudeau S, Schütz T, Schulz R, Tapia-Padilla G, Tournebize J, Trevisan M, Wanko A (2009) Mitigation of agricultural nonpoint-source pesticide pollution in artificial wetland ecosystems. Environ Chem Lett 7:205–231CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005) Ecosystems and human well-being: synthesis. Island Press, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Petric I, Philippot L, Abbate C, Bispo A, Chesnot T, Hallin S, Laval K, Lebeau T, Lemanceau P, Leyval C, Lindstrom K, Pandard P, Romero E, Sarr A, Schloter M, Simonet P, Smalla K, Wilke BM, Martin-Laurent F (2011) Inter-laboratory evaluation of the ISO standard 11063 “Soil quality—Method to directly extract DNA from soil samples”. J Microbiol Meth 84:454–460CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Udikovic-Kolic N, Scott C, Martin-Laurent F (2012) Evolution of atrazine-degrading capabilities in the environment. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. doi: 10.1007/s00253-012-4495-0
- Van-Camp L, Bujarrabal B, Gentile AR, Jones RJA, Montanarella L, Olazabal C, Selvaradjou SK (2004) Reports of the technical working groups established under the thematic strategy for soil protection. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg, EUR 21319 EN/4, 872 pagesGoogle Scholar