D.-G. CHEN, & K. E. PEACE. (2013) Applied Meta-Analysis with R. Boca Raton: Chapman & Hall/CRC. 342 pages. $89.95. ISBN: 978-1466505995
Meta-analysis is a powerful technique for synthesizing research in many fields (health and social disciplines alike). Findings from meta-analyses often have implications for future practice, policy, and research (Chalmers, Hedges, & Cooper, 2002). Although Pearson (1904) is credited with what was possibly the first meta-analysis, the term meta-analysis was coined by Glass (1976, p. 3) to refer to “the statistical analysis of a large collection of analysis results from individual studies for the purposes of integrating findings.” Originally, the terms meta-analysis and systematic review were used interchangeably. More recently, however, the term meta-analysis has been used to refer to the statistical aspects of a systematic review. Thus, not every systematic review includes a meta-analysis.
While many excellent general purpose books cover methods for...
- Cooper, H. M., Hedges, L. V., & Valentine, J. C. (2009). The handbook of research synthesis and meta-analysis. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.Google Scholar
- Kabacoff, R. (2014). R in action: Data analysis and graphics with R. Shelter Island, NY: Manning Publications.Google Scholar
- Lumley, T. (2012). rmeta: Meta-analysis. R package version 2.16. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=rmeta
- R Core Team (2014). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL http://www.R-project.org/
- Rothstein, H., Sutton, A. J., & Borenstein, M. (2005). Publication bias in meta-analysis. In Publication bias in meta-analysis: Prevention, assessment and adjustments (pp. 1–7). Chichester, England ; Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Schwarzer, G. (2014). Meta: Meta-analysis with R. R package version 3.7-1. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=meta
- Sutton, A. J., Abrams, K. R., Jones, D. R., Sheldon, T. A., & Song, F. (2000). Methods for meta-analysis in medical research. London: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Viechtbauer, W. (2010). Conducting meta-analyses in R with the metafor package. Journal of Statistical Software, 36(3), 1–48. URL: http://www.jstatsoft.org/v36/i03/