The effect of vitamin D supplements on the severity of restless legs syndrome
- 570 Downloads
Clinical observation hinted improved symptoms of restless legs syndrome (RLS) after vitamin D supplements. Hence, the aim of this study is to evaluate the effect of vitamin D supplementation on the severity of RLS symptoms.
Twelve adult subjects diagnosed with primary RLS and vitamin D deficiency were recruited. Patients with secondary RLS were excluded from this study. The complete cell count; serum levels of ferritin, iron, glycated hemoglobin, and vitamin D3 (25 (OH) vitamin D); and renal and bone profiles of the patients were assayed. Patients with vitamin D deficiency (<50 nmol/l) were treated with vitamin D3 supplements (high oral dose or intramuscular injection). The severity scores of RLS were reassessed after the vitamin D3 level was corrected to >50 nmol/l and compared with those before the administration of the supplements.
The median pretreatment vitamin D level was 21.7 nmol/l (13.45–57.4), which improved to 61.8 nmol/l (42.58–95.9) (P = 0.002) with the treatment. The median RLS severity score improved significantly from 26 (15–35) at baseline to 10 (0–27) after correction of the vitamin D levels (P = 0.002).
This study indicates that vitamin D supplementation improves the severity of RLS symptoms and advocates that vitamin D deficiency is conceivably associated with RLS.
KeywordsRestless legs syndrome Vitamin D deficiency Rating score Diagnosis
- 6.Allen RP, Picchietti D, Hening WA, Trenkwalder C, Walters AS, Montplaisi J (2003) Restless legs syndrome: diagnostic criteria, special considerations, and epidemiology. A report from the restless legs syndrome diagnosis and epidemiology workshop at the National Institutes of Health. Sleep Med 4(2):101–119CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Abetz L, Arbuckle R, Allen RP, Garcia-Borreguero D, Hening W, Walters AS, Mavraki E, Kirsch JM (2006) The reliability, validity and responsiveness of the International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group rating scale and subscales in a clinical-trial setting. Sleep Med 7(4):340–349CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Allen RP, Earley CJ (2007) The role of iron in restless legs syndrome. MovDisord 22(18):440–448Google Scholar
- 13.Zucconi M, Manconi M (2008) Sleep and quality of life in restless legs syndrome. In: Verster JC, Pandi-Perumal SR, Streiner D (eds) Sleep and quality of life in clinical medicine. Humana Press, Totowa, NJGoogle Scholar
- 16.Meguro S, Tomita M, Katsuki T, Kato K, Oh H, Ainai A, Ito R, Takeda S, Kawai T, Atsumi Y, Itoh H, Hasegawa H (2011) Plasma 25- hydroxyvitamin D is independently associated with hemoglobin concentration in male subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Endocrinol 362981:5. doi:10.1155/2011 Google Scholar