Performance of Hybrid Load Balancing Algorithm in Distributed Web Server System
The challenges that load balancing (LB) faces are that there may not always be enough physical servers to be able to handle the demand requested at any one time. If a huge influx of players comes online at the same time, there may just not be enough room for them all. In this case, the server would usually initiate a queue system where players are held before they are allowed to attempt to connect to the world server. If too many requests are made however, the load balancer itself may stop working and deny players access completely. These challenges are specific to the Client/Server model of game content distribution. The proposed hybrid Grid model has a slightly different set of challenges. The load balancer in this model has to constantly check the network for player disconnections so that any outstanding events can be cleaned up by the dedicated hosts. It also has to balance load like normal to these hosts as they will appear as one entity on the network but can be scaled to as many machines as are needed. The popularity of decentralization over recent years has led to issues with the demand on server hardware and the need for LB which generates increased costs for companies and affects the quality of service. The aim of this work was to design and construct a Hybrid load balancing solution for Grid and compare it to the other load balancing algorithms. Grid with a load balancer was written in Java using a modular construction which allowed code reuse between different network models. Four common algorithms, one of which was redeveloped to improve its performance, were compared to determine load balancing efficiency for selecting servers from a pool.
KeywordsLoad balancing Grid computing Performance Server
- 1.Xu, Z., & Huang, R. Performance study of load balancing algorithms in distributed web server systems. CS213 parallel and distributed processing project report.Google Scholar
- 2.Rathore, N. K., & Chana, I. (2009). Checkpointing algorithm in alchemi.NET. In Annual conference of Vijnana Parishad of India and national symposium recent development in applied mathematics and information technology, JUET, Guna, M.P. Google Scholar
- 3.http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/blizzard-apologizes-diablo-disaster-778072. Accessed 20 March 2013.
- 4.Rathore, N. K., & Chana, I. (2008). Comparative analysis of checkpointing. In: PIMR third national IT conference, IT enabled practices and emerging management paradigm book and category is communication technologies and security issues (pp 32–35), Topic No/Name-46, Prestige Management and Research, Indore, (MP) India.Google Scholar
- 5.Rathore, N. K., & Singh, P. (2016). An efficient load balancing algorithm in distributed networks. Saarbrücken: Lambert Academic Publication House (LBA). ISBN 978-3-659-78892-5.Google Scholar
- 6.NBC News. (2013). Blizzard apologizes for ‘Diablo’ disaster. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/8769297252.
- 7.Rathore, N. K., & Chohan, R. (2016). An enhancement of Gridsim architecture with load balancing. Scholar’s Press, Project Id: 4900 (ISBN: 978-3-639-76989-0).Google Scholar
- 8.Rathore, N. K., & Sharma, A. (2015). Efficient dynamic distributed load balancing technique. Saarbrücken: Lambert Academic Publication House. Project ID: 127478 (ISBN no-978-3-659-78288-6).Google Scholar
- 9.Rathore, N. K., & Chana, I. (2010). Checkpointing algorithm in alchemi.NET. Saarbrücken: Lambert Academic Publication House (LBA) (ISBN-10: 3843361371, ISBN-13: 978-3843361378).Google Scholar
- 10.Riot Games Community. (2013). Petition for more red attention and equally good servers with equally good support!, from League of legends community—general discussion. Available at: http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1033079. Accessed 17 November 2013.
- 11.Jain, N., Rathore, N. K., & Mishra, A. (2017). An efficient image forgery detection using biorthogonal wavelet transform and singular value decomposition. In 5th international conference on advance research applied science, environment, agriculture and entrepreneurship development (ARASEAED), Bhopal organized and sponsored by Janparishad, JMBVSS and international council of people at Bhopal (M.P.) India (pp 274–281).Google Scholar
- 12.Oracle VM VirtualBox. Available at: https://www.virtualbox.org. Accessed 17 Nov 2013.
- 13.Rathore, N. K., & Chana, I. (2013). A sender initiate based hierarchical load balancing technique for grid using variable threshold value. In International conference IEEE-ISPC (ISBN: 978-1-4673-6188-0) (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar
- 14.Rathore, N. K., & Chana, I. (2011). A cognitative analysis of load balancing technique with job migration in grid environment. In World congress on information and communication technology (WICT), Mumbai, IEEE proceedings paper (ISBN -978-1-4673-0127-5) (pp. 77–82).Google Scholar
- 15.University of Tenessee Knoxville. (2013). What load balancing methods are available. Available at: http://oit2.utk.edu/helpdesk/kb/entry/1699/. Accessed 20 March 2013.
- 16.Rathore, N. K. (2015). Efficient load balancing algorithm in grid. In 30th M.P. Young scientist congress, Bhopal, M.P. (pp. 56).Google Scholar
- 17.Rathore, N. K. (2014). Efficient hierarchical load balancing technique based on grid. In 29th M.P. Young scientist congress, Bhopal, M.P. (pp. 55).Google Scholar
- 18.ACM Digital Library. Available at: http://dl.acm.org/. Accessed 20 March 2013.
- 19.Chouhan, R., & Rathore, N. K. (2012). Comparison of load balancing technique in grid. In 17th annual conference of Gwalior academy of mathematical science and national symposium on computational mathematics and information technology, JUET, Guna, M.P., 7–9 Dec 2012.Google Scholar
- 20.Rathore, N. K., & Chana, I. (2010). Fault tolerance algorithm in alchemi.NET middleware. In National conference on education and research (ConFR10), third CSI national conference of CSI division V, Bhopal Chapter, IEEE Bombay, and MPCST Bhopal, organized by JUIT, India, 6–7th March 2010.Google Scholar
- 21.Gamespy & Playstation 2 Timeline. Available at: http://web.archive.org/web/20090206175259/. Accessed 17 November 2013.
- 22.http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/february04/ps2timeline/index2.shtml. Accessed 19 Aug 2008.
- 23.Valve. Steam. Available at: http://store.steampowered.com. Accessed 20 March 2013.
- 24.Jain, N., Rathore, N., & Mishra, A. (2017). An efficient image forgery detection using biorthogonal wavelet transform and improved relevance vector machine with some attacks. Interciencia Journal 42 (11), 95–120 (ISSN: 0378-1844), IF=.28.Google Scholar
- 25.Rathore, N. (2016). Dynamic threshold based load balancing algorithms. Wireless Personal Communication. New York: Springer (ISSN print 0929-6212, ISSN online 1572-834X) (vol 91, no. (1), pp. 151–185), IF-0.979, Nov 2016.Google Scholar
- 26.Canonical. Ubuntu. Available at http://ubuntu.com. Accessed 17 Nov 2013.
- 27.Rathore, N., & Chana, I. (2016). Job migration policies for grid environment. Wireless Personal Communication, New York: Springer (USA) (vol 89, no. 1, pp. 241–269), IF-0.979.Google Scholar
- 29.Jagex, Runescape, Available at: http://runescape.com. Accessed 20 March 2013.
- 30.Sharma, V., Kumar, R., & Rathore, N. K. (2015). Topological broadcasting using parameter sensitivity based logical proximity graphs in coordinated ground-flying ad hoc networks. Journal of Wireless Mobile Networks Ubiquitous Computing and Dependable Applications (JoWUA), SCOPUS indexed [ISSN: 2093-5374 (printed), ISSN: 2093-5382 (online), IF-1.84] (vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 54–72).Google Scholar
- 31.CCP. EVE online. Available at: http://www.eveonline.com/. Accessed: 20 Mar 2013.
- 33.Lenovo. Available at: http://www.lenovo.com. Accessed: 17 Nov 2013.
- 34.Rathore, N., & Chana, I. (2014). Job migration with fault tolerance based QoS scheduling using hash table functionality in social Grid computing. Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, 27(6), 2821–2833.Google Scholar
- 35.Rathore, N. K., & Singh, P. K. (2017). A comparative analysis of fuzzy based load balancing algorithm. Journal of Computer Science (JCS), 5(2), 23–33.Google Scholar
- 36.Oracle. Java. Available at: http://java.oracle.com. Accessed 17 Nov 2013.
- 37.Rathore, N. K., & Singh, H. (2017). Analysis of grid simulators architechture. Journal on Mobile Applications and Technologies (JMT) 4(2), 32–41 (ISSN Online: 2394-0239).Google Scholar
- 38.Rathore, N. K. (2016). Checkpointing: Fault tolerance mechanism. Journal on Cloud Computing (JCC) 3(4), 27–34 (ISSN Online: 2350-1308).Google Scholar
- 39.Fan L. (2009). Solving key design issues for massively multiplayer online games on peer-to-peer architectures. http://hdl.handle.net/10399/2270.
- 40.Rathore, N. K. (2017). A review towards: Load balancing techniques. Journal on Power Systems Engineering (JPS) 4(4), 47–60 (ISSN Online: 2322-0376).Google Scholar
- 41.Blizzard. (2013). World of Warcraft. Available at: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/. Accessed 20 March 2013.
- 43.Brummermann H. (2013). How is load balancing being achieved in MMORPGs. Available at: http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/5956/how-is-load-balancing-achieved-in-mmos. Accessed 20 March 2013.
- 44.Rathore, N. K. (2016). Installation of alchemi.NET in computational grid. Journal on Computer Science (JCOM) 4 (2), 1–5 (ISSN Print: 2347-2227, ISSN Online: 2347-6141).Google Scholar
- 45.Rathore, N. K. (2016 ). Ethical hacking and security against cyber crime. Journal on Information Technology (JIT) 5(1), 7–11 (ISSN Online: 2277-5250).Google Scholar
- 46.Rathore, N. K., & Chana, I. (2013). Report on hierarchal load balancing technique in grid environment. Journal on Information Technology (JIT) 2(4), 21–35 (ISSN Online: 2277-5250, ISSN Print: 2277-5110).Google Scholar
- 47.Rathore, N. K., & Chana, I. (2010). Checkpointing algorithm in alchemi.NET. Pragyaan: Journal of Information Technology 8 (1), 32–38 (ISSN No.: 0974-5513, IEEE, CSI and MPCET).Google Scholar
- 49.Rathore, N. K. (2015). Efficient agent based priority scheduling and load balancing using fuzzy logic in grid computing. Journal on Computer Science (JCOM) 3(3), 11–22 (ISSN Online: 2347-6141).Google Scholar
- 50.Rathore, N. K. (2015). Map reduce architecture for grid. Journal on Software Engineering (JSE) 10(1), 21–30 (ISSN Online: 2230-7168).Google Scholar
- 51.Aasen, F. V., & Johannessen, T.-C. B. (2009). Hybrid peer-to-peer solution for MMORPGs. Institutt for telematikk. http://hdl.handle.net/11250/261798.
- 52.Rathore, N. K. (2015) GridSim installation and implementation process. Journal on Cloud Computing (JCC) 2(4), 29–40 (ISSN Online: 2350-1308).Google Scholar