Optimal Time Switching-Based Policies for Efficient Transmit Power in Wireless Energy Harvesting Small Cell Cognitive Relaying Networks
- 118 Downloads
In this paper, we consider a half-duplex decode-and-forward small cell cognitive relay network, in which the source and the relay node are allocated with spectrum shared by the macro cell primary transmitter (MPT). In order to develop a practical design, we propose two time switching-based policies to optimize the maximum transmit power at source and relay so-called Optimal Time for Transmit Power at Source and Optimal Time for Transmit Power at Relay related to wireless energy harvesting for the considered network, thanks to the advantages of MPT. Additionally, we provide closed-form expressions for outage probability for the proposed policies. Furthermore, to achieve more genuine understandings of the successful data transmission of the small cells, we also consider the delay-constraint throughput, the rate-energy trade-off and the average energy efficiency by giving numerical and simulation results.
KeywordsCognitive relay network Decode-and-forward Energy harvesting Time-switching Outage probability Energy-efficiency Rate-energy
This research was funded by the grant SGS Reg. No. SP2017/174 conducted at VSB-Technical University of Ostrava, Czech Republic.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- 2.Ouyang, J., Zhu, W. P., Massicotte, D., & Lin, M. (2016). Energy efficient optimization for physical layer security in cognitive relay networks, In Proceedings of IEEE international conference on communications (ICC), May 2016, pp. 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICC.2016.7510895.
- 5.Hecke, J. V., Fiorentino, P. D., Lottici, V., Giannetti, F., Vandendorpe, L., & Moeneclaey, M. (2017). Distributed dynamic resource allocation for cooperative cognitive radio networks with multi-antenna relay selection. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 16(99), 1236–1249. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2016.2642942.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Huang, X., Liu, S., Li, Y., Zhu, F., & Chen, Q. (2016). Dynamic cell selection and resource allocation in cognitive small cell networks, IEEE 27th annual international symposium on personal, indoor, and mobile radio communications (PIMRC), 2016, pp. 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1109/PIMRC.2016.7794899.
- 10.H. Huang, Z. Li, B. Ai, G.Wang, & M. S. Obaidat, (2016). Impact of hardware impairment on spectrum underlay cognitive multiple relays network, In Proceedings of IEEE international conference on communications (ICC), 2016, pp. 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICC.2016.7511543.
- 12.Nguyen, H.-S., Do, D.-T., Bui, A.-H., & Voznak, M. (2017). Self-powered wireless two-way relaying networks: Model and throughput performance with three practical schemes, Wireless Personal Communications (Springer), pre-published, pp. 1–19, (Q4, SCIE). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-017-4526-3
- 13.Adeli, M. H., Mohammadian, F., Taherpour, A., & Khattab, T. (2016). Optimized collaborative spectrum sensing in energy harvesting cognitive radio networks, In Proceedings of IEEE wireless communications and networking conference (WCNC), April 2016, pp. 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1109/WCNC.2016.7564792.
- 14.He, P., & Zhao, L. (2015). Optimal power control for energy harvesting cognitive radio networks, In Proceedings of IEEE international conference on communications (ICC), June 2015, pp. 92–97. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICC.2015.7248304
- 20.Nguyen, H. S., Do, D. T., & Voznak, M. (2016). Two-way relaying networks in green communications for 5G: Optimal throughput and tradeoff between relay distance on power splitting-based and time switching-based relaying SWIPT. International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 70(3), 1637–1644. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aeue.2016.10.002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar