Frequency Offset Estimation of Satellite-Based AIS Signals Based on Interpolated FFT
- 98 Downloads
Aimed at addressing the problem of carrier synchronization for satellite-based Automatic Identification System (AIS) signals, a novel data-aided carrier frequency offset estimation method in the intermediate frequency is proposed in this paper. AIS signals use Gaussian Minimum Shift Keying (GMSK) for transmission, and a nonlinearity of the GMSK signal is shown to be a sine wave with frequency related to the carrier frequency offset. Based on that, this method constructs an auxiliary function with the available symbols to avoid the influence of the modulated phase information, and it estimates the frequency offset due to Doppler shift with a new interpolated FFT method. Moreover, this method performs better when the signals are filtered by band pass filter even through the bandwidth is as low as the 1/3 nominal bandwidth. Computer simulations are used to assess the synchronizer performance on AWGN channels.
KeywordsSatellite-based AIS Intermediate frequency Interpolated FFT Frequency offset estimation
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61601326) and Tianjin City High School Science & Technology Fund Planning Project (No.20140707). An earlier version of this paper was presented at 2016 IEEE International Conference of Online Analysis and Computing Science.
- 1.Boundy, N., LeMaitre, J., Millerioux, J. -P. (2012). Results of measurement campaign for characterization of AIS transmitter. In Advanced satellite multimedia systems conference and 12th signal processing for space communication workshop, Baiona, Spain (pp. 258–265).Google Scholar
- 2.Burzigotti, P., Ginesi, A., Colavolpe, G. (2010). Advanced receiver design for Satellite-based AIS signal detection. In 5th advanced satellite multimedia systems conference and 11th signal processing for space communications workshop, Cagliari, Italy (pp. 1–8).Google Scholar
- 3.Peng, H., Li, J., Ge, L. (2003). Non-data-aided carrier frequency offset estimation of GMSK signals in burst transmissions. In IEEE international conference on Acoustics, speech, and signal processing, 2003, Hong Kong, China (pp. 576–579).Google Scholar
- 4.D’ Andera, A. N., Ginesi, A., Mengali, U. (1995). Digital carrier frequency estimation for multilevel CPM signals. In Communication, 1995. ICC’95 Seattle, ‘gateway to globalization’, Seattle (pp. 1041–1045).Google Scholar
- 6.Tian, Pengwu, Yuan, Jia, & Hongyi, Yu. (2008). Spectral-correlation analysis and parameter estimation of MSK signal. Communication Technology, 41(1), 9–11. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- 12.Wu, T. (2003). New data-aided frequency estimation algorithm based on discriminator for GMSK signals. In Proceedings of the 2003 international conference onneural networks and signal processing, 2003, Nanjing, China (pp. 1706–1709).Google Scholar
- 13.Qi, G., & Jia, X. (2001). High-accuracy frequency and phase estimation of single-tone based on phase of DFT. Acta Electornica Sinica, 29(9), 1164–1167. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- 14.Qi, G., & Jia, X. (2004). Accuracy analysis of frequency estimation of sinusoid based on interpolation FFT. Acta Electronica Sinica, 32(4), 625–629.Google Scholar