Energy-Efficient Hierarchical Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks: A Swarm Intelligence Approach
- 983 Downloads
Energy efficient routing in wireless sensor networks (WSNs) require non-conventional paradigm for design and development of power aware protocols. Swarm intelligence (SI) based metaheuristic can be applied for optimal routing of data, in an energy constraint WSNs environment. In this paper, we present BeeSwarm, a SI based energy-efficient hierarchical routing protocol for WSNs. Our protocol consists of three phases: (1) Set-up phase-BeeCluster, (2) Route discovery phase-BeeSearch and (3) Data transmission phase-BeeCarrier. Integration of three phases for clustering, data routing and transmission, is the key aspect of our proposed protocol, which ultimately contributes to its robustness. Evaluation of simulation results show that BeeSwarm perform better in terms of packet delivery, energy consumption and throughput with increased network life compared to other SI based hierarchical routing protocols.
KeywordsWireless sensor networks Swarm intelligence Energy efficient routing
The authors acknowledge I K Gujral Punjab Technical University, Kapurthala, Punjab, India.
- 33.Wang, L., Zhang, R., & Geng, S. (2009). An energy-balanced ant-based routing protocol for wireless sensor networks. In 5th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, IEEE 2009 (pp. 1–4).Google Scholar
- 35.Bari, A., Wazed, S., Jaekel, A., & Bandyopadhyay, S. (2009). A genetic algorithm based approach for energy efficient routing in two-tiered sensor networks: A genetic algorithm based approach for energy efficient routing in two-tiered sensor networks. Ad Hoc Networks, 7(4), 665.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Najafi, F., Dezfouli, M. A., & Rostami, H. (2011). Formatting a novel clustering protocol based on artificial immune system algorithm for wireless sensor networks. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Sciences and Technologies, 6(6), 256–260.Google Scholar
- 43.Saleem, M., & Farooq, M. (2012). Beesensor: A bee-inspired power aware routing protocol for wireless sensor networks. In Applications of Evolutionary Computing (pp. 81–90). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 49.Kong, L., Pan, J. S., Tsai, P. W., Vaclav, S., & Ho, J. H. (2015). A balanced power consumption algorithm based on enhanced parallel cat swarm optimization for wireless sensor network. International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks.Google Scholar