MGF Based Approximate SER Calculation of SM MIMO Systems Over Generalized η − μ and κ − μ Fading Channels
- 333 Downloads
Spatial modulation (SM) is a multiple input multiple output (MIMO) wireless communication system that gives better spectral efficiency without costing extra bandwith for the same signal constellation size. In an SM MIMO system with \(N_t\) transmitting antennas, spectral efficiency increases by \(log_2(N_t)\). The superior performance of SM systems over other MIMO systems like Alamouti Space-Time Block Codes and Vertical Bell Laboratories Layered Space-Time is already reported in the literature. In this paper, we analyzed the symbol error rate (SER) performance of an SM system in generalized \(\eta-\mu \) and \(\kappa - \mu \) fading channels for several modulation schemes. A closed form expression for approximate SER is derived using moment generating function (MGF) approach and the results are validated using Monte Carlo simulations. The approximate SER expression obtained in this communication is applicable for any fading channels whose MGF is known. The SER analysis over generalized fading channels can be easily deduced to various classical fading channels like Rayleigh, Rician, Nakagami-m and Nakagami-q fading channels by choosing appropriate values of \(\kappa \), \(\mu \) and \(\eta \).
KeywordsSpatial modulation Fading channels \(\eta-\mu \) distribution \(\kappa - \mu \) distribution BER performance
First author would like to thank Mr. Kalpant Pathak for his help in simulation of \(\eta-\mu \) fading channel.
- 2.Wolniansky, P. W., Foschini, G. J., Golden, G.D., & Valenzuela, R. (1998). V-BLAST: An architecture for realizing very high data rates over the rich-scattering wireless channel. In: Proceedings URSI International Symposium on Signals, Systems, and Electronics, (pp. 295–300).Google Scholar
- 6.Mesleh, R., Haas, H., Ahn, C. W., & Sangboh, Y. (2006). Spatial modulation—A new low complexity spectral efficiency enhancing technique. In: Proceedings First International Conference on Communications and Networking in China, (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- 11.Younis, A., Serafimovski, N., Mesleh, R., & Haas, H. (2010). Generalised spatial modulation. In: Conference Record of the Forty Fourth Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers (ASILOMAR), (pp. 1498–1502).Google Scholar
- 13.Osamah, B. S., & Raed, M. (2013). Spatial modulation performance analysis over generalized \(\eta-\mu \) fading channels. In: Proceedings 24th International Symposium on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), (pp. 886–890).Google Scholar
- 20.Simon, M. K., & Alouini, M. S. (2004). Digital communication over fading channels , 12(7) (pp. 502–504). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- 21.Koca, M., & Sari, H. (2012). Performance analysis of spatial modulation over correlated fading channels. In: Proceedings IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Fall), (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar