A Relay Based Routing Protocol for Wireless In-Body Sensor Networks
- 426 Downloads
Efficient energy utilization of in-body sensors is one of the hot areas of current research. In this paper, we present a relay based routing protocol for in vivo wireless body area sensor networks. Firstly, we decrease the communication distance of in-body sensors to its minimum value. Secondly, we do not allow multi-hopping of data among in-body sensors. So, in our proposed protocol, relays along with one coordinator are deployed on the clothes of a patient. As placed on the patients clothes, relays could easily be recharged and replaced. In-body sensors send the sensed data to nearby relay, which forwards the data to the coordinator and finally to the end station. Moreover, the proposed protocol is provided with linear programming based mathematical models for network lifetime maximization and end-to-end-delay minimization. Simulation results show that our proposed protocol performs better than the selected routing protocols in terms of energy efficiency.
KeywordsBody sensor networks Relay Routing protocol Health-care End-to-end-delay Linear programming
- 4.Khan, J. Y., & Yuce, M. R. (2010). Wireless body area network (wban) for medical applications. New Developments in Biomedical Engineering, INTECH.Google Scholar
- 6.Honeine, P., Mourad, F., Kallas, M., Snoussi, H., Amoud, H., & Francis, C. (2011). Wireless sensor networks in biomedical: Body area networks. In 2011 7th international workshop on systems, signal processing and their applications (WOSSPA) (pp. 388–391). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 8.Reusens, E., Joseph, W., Latre, B., Braem, B., Vermeeren, G., Tanghe, E., et al. (2009). Characterization of on-body communication channel and energy efficient topology design for wireless body area networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, 13(6), 933–945.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Yazdandoost, K. Y., & Kohno, R. (2009). Body implanted medical device communications. IEICE Transactions on Communications, 92(2), 410417.Google Scholar
- 11.Latre, B., Braem, B., Moerman, I., Blondia, C., Reusens, E., Joseph, W., et al. (2007). A low-delay protocol for multihop wireless body area networks. In Proceedings of the 2007 fourth annual international conference on mobile and ubiquitous systems: Networking and Services (MobiQuitous), MOBIQUITOUS 07 (Washington, DC, USA) (p. 18). IEEE Computer Society.Google Scholar
- 12.Quwaider, M., & Biswas, S. (2009). On-body packet routing algorithms for body sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 2009 first international conference on networks and communications, NETCOM 09 (Washington, DC, USA) (pp. 171–177). IEEE Computer Society.Google Scholar
- 13.Ghasemzadeh, H., & Jafari, R. (2010). Data aggregation in body sensor networks: A power optimization technique for collaborative signal processing. In Seventh annual IEEE communications society conference on sensor, mesh and ad hoc communications and networks, SECON 2010 (pp. 439–447). http://www.odysci.com/article/1010112988313934.
- 14.Ababneh, N., Timmons, N., Morrison, J., & Tracey, D. (2012). Energy-balanced rate assignment and routing protocol for body area networks. In Proceedings of the 2012 26th international conference on advanced information networking and applications workshops, WAINA 12 (Washington, DC, USA) (pp. 466–471). IEEE Computer Society.Google Scholar
- 16.Razzaque, M. A., Hong, C. S., & Lee, S. (2011). Data-centric multiobjective qos-aware routing protocol for body sensor networks. Sensors, 11(1), 917937.Google Scholar
- 17.Ahmad, A., Javaid, N., Qasim, U., Ishfaq, M., Khan, Z. A., & Alghamdi, T. A. (2014). Re-attempt: A new energy-efficient routing protocol for wireless body area sensor networks. International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks.Google Scholar
- 18.Elias, J., & Mehaoua, A. (2012). Energy-aware topology design for wireless body area networks. In 2012 IEEE international conference on communications (ICC) (pp. 3409–3410). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 21.Javaid, N., Ahmad, A., Rahim, A., Khan, Z. A., Ishfaq, M., & Qasim, U. (2014). Adaptive medium access control protocol for wireless body area networks. In International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, (Vol. 2014, Article ID 254397, p. 10). doi:10.1155/2014/2543972014.