Mobile DDR IO Standard Based High Performance Energy Efficient Portable ALU Design on FPGA
- 435 Downloads
In this work, we are making energy efficient ALU using the most energy efficient LVCMOS IO standard for the highest frequency of i7 processor. It is observed that LVCMOS12 is the most energy efficient than all available LVCMOS having 26.23, 58.37 and 75.65 % less IO power reduction than LVCMOS18, LVCMOS25 and LVCMOS33 respectively at 1 GHz. Then we are making this ALU portable using MOBILE DDR IO standard in place of default LVCMOS33 IO standard which we use in traditional ALU. As we replace LVCMOS with MOBILE DDR, we are achieving 69.07 % portability in terms of IO power and 29.36 % in terms of Leakage power at 2.9 GHz. In next stage, we try to enhance the performance of ALU with MOBILE DDR but not beyond the power consumption with LVCMOS. In that way, we achieve the highest frequency of 12 GHz with MOBILE DDR. That was earlier possible for 3.8 GHz 64-bit ALU using CMOS. In this HDL based implementation of 64-bit ALU on FPGA, Kintex-7 FPGA is used with XC7K70T device and FBG676 package is used.
KeywordsHigh performance Portable Energy efficient ALU FPGA
- 1.Sharma, M., Sharma, K. G., Sharma, T., Singh, B. P., & Arora. N. (2011). SET D-flip flop design for portable applications. iN IEEE India international conference on power electronics (IICPE) (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- 2.Panda, P. R., Silpa, B. V. N., Shrivastava, A., & Gummidipudi, K. (2010). Power-efficient system design. Springer Press, 253 p, ISBN 978-1-4419-6388-8.Google Scholar
- 3.Maurice, M., & Gyvez, J. P. (2008). Technological boundaries of voltage and frequency scaling for power performance tuning. Springer Integrated Circuits and Systems, ISBN 978-1-4419-4553-2.Google Scholar
- 5.Hui, L., & Ding, L. W. (2010). Low-power and portable design of bioelectrical impedance measurement system. In WASE international conference on information engineering (ICIE) (Vol. 3, pp. 38–41).Google Scholar
- 7.Paganini, M., Kimmich, G., Ducrey, S., Caubit, G., & Coeffe, V. (2007). Portable multimedia SoC design: A global challenge. In Design, automation and test in Europe conference and exhibition, DATE ’07 (pp. 1–4).Google Scholar
- 8.Pandey, B., Yadav, J., Singh, Y., Kumar, R., & Patel, S. (2013). Energy efficient design and implementation of ALU on 40-nm FPGA. In IEEE international conference on energy efficient technologies for sustainability-(ICEETs). Nagercoil, Tamilnadu, April 10–12.Google Scholar
- 9.Kim, S. H. (2007). A low power and highly reliable 400 Mbps mobile DDR SDRAM with on-chip distributed ECC. In IEEE Asian solid-state circuits conference (pp. 34–37).Google Scholar
- 10.Marraa, L. et al. (2008). Experimental analysis of energy consumption by MobileDDR memory for mobile applications. In IEEE international symposium on industrial electronics (pp. 1686–1691).Google Scholar
- 11.Specification of 4th Generation Intel Core i7 Processor, www.intel.in.