Comprehensive Performance Analysis of ZigBee Technology Based on Real Measurements
- 548 Downloads
Although the ZigBee technology is massively deployed the performance question still remains unanswered. There is a lack of serious performance evaluations and thus this paper provides a comprehensive and unbiased study of the ZigBee PRO technology. An extensive real measurement was conducted to accomplish this task. We found out a big performance gap among ZigBee implementations even though they are compliant with the ZigBee standard. The presented results and analysis could be beneficial for many wireless sensor network developers.
KeywordsAnalysis Bitcloud IEEE 802.15.4 Wireless sensor network ZigBee
Research described in this paper was prepared within the framework of No.FRTI2/571 grant project of the Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Czech Republic. Holder of Brno PhD Talent Financial Aid - Sponsored by Brno City Municipality.
- 1.IMS Research, The World Market for Low-power Wireless—2011 Edition, Available: http://imsresearch.com.
- 2.IEEE Computer Society, et al. (2012). Part 15.4: Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs), 2nd rev. edn, 3 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10016–5997, USA: The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., 2006, Available: http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.15.4-2006.pdf. Accessed 12 June 2012.
- 3.ZigBee Alliance (2012). ZigBee Pro 2007 specification, Available: http://www.ZigBee.org/Standards/ZigBeeSmartEnergy/Specification.aspx. Accessed 12 June 2012.
- 4.Pinedo-Frausto, E. D., Garcia-Macias, J. A., (2008). An experimental analysis of ZigBee networks, Local Computer Networks. LCN 2008, pp. 723–729, 14–17 October 2008.Google Scholar
- 6.Zheng, J., & Lee, M. J. (2004). A comprehensive performance study of 802.15.4. New York: IEEE Press Book.Google Scholar
- 7.Jennic Ltd. (2006-08-15). Calculating 802.15.4 data rates, Application note JN-AN-1035. Availa- ble: http://www.jennic.com/support/application_notes/jn-an-1035_calculating_data_rates_in_an_ieee_802154-based_network. Accessed 12 June 2012.
- 8.Woon, W. T. H., & Wan, T. C., (2006). Performance evaluation of IEEE 802.15.4 Ad Hoc wireless sensor networks: Simulation approach, systems, man and cybernetics, 2006. SMC ‘06 (vol. 2, pp. 1443–1448), October 8–11, 2006Google Scholar
- 9.Latré, B., Mil, P. D., Moerman, I., Dhoedt, B., Demeester, P., & Dierdonck, N. V. (2006). Throughput and delay analysis of unslotted IEEE 802.15.4, presented at JNW, pp. 20–28.Google Scholar
- 10.Song. C.-C., Feng, C.-F., Wang, C.-H., & Liaw, D.-C. (2011). Simulation and experimental analysis of a ZigBee sensor network with fault detection and reconfiguration mechanism, control conference (ASCC), 8th Asian, (pp. 659–664), May 15–18, 2011.Google Scholar
- 11.Hammoodi, I. S., Stewart, B. G., Kocian, A., & McMeekin, S. G., (2009). A comprehensive performance study of OPNET modeler for ZigBee wireless sensor networks. Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies. NGMAST ‘09., (pp. 357–362), September 15–18, 2009.Google Scholar
- 12.Nefzi, B., & Song, Y.-Q. (2007). Performance analysis and improvement of ZigBee routing protocol. 7th IFAC international conference on fieldbuses & networks in Industrial & embedded systems.Google Scholar
- 13.Weiye, T., & Jieqiong, Z. (2011). The performance study of ZigBee mesh network. Communication Software and Networks (ICCSN), pp. 407–409, May 27–29, 2011.Google Scholar
- 14.Li, J., Zhu, X., Tang, N., & Sui, J. (2010). Study on ZigBee network architecture and routing algorithm. Signal Processing Systems (ICSPS), (vol. 2, pp. 389–393), July, 2010.Google Scholar
- 15.Dhama, N., Kaur, P., Kumar, N., Patel, R.B., & Singh, B.P., (2010). Simulation and performance evaluation of ZigBee for wireless sensor networks having multiple events occurring simultaneously at a time. AIP conference proceedings of 1324, pp. 85–89, December, 2010Google Scholar
- 16.Song, C.-C., Feng, C.-F., Wang, C.-H., & Liaw, D.-C. (2011). Simulation and experimental analysis of a ZigBee sensor network with fault detection and reconfiguration mechanism, control conference (ASCC), pp. 659–664, May 15–18, 2011Google Scholar
- 17.Fernández-lópez, H., Correia, J. H., Simões, R., & Afonso, J. A. (2010). Experimental Evaluation of IEEE 802.15.4/ZigBee for Multi-Patient ECG Monitoring, ICST conference on electronic healthcare for the 21st century Google Scholar
- 18.Kumar, A., Namboothiri, P. G., Deshpande, S., Vidhyadharan, S., Sivalingam, K. M., & Murty, S. A. V. S. (2012). Testbed based throughput analysis in a Wireless Sensor Network, communications (NCC), pp. 1–5, February 3–5, 2012.Google Scholar