The Development of Intelligent Beamforming Antenna Systems for Stratospheric Platforms in the Millimeter-Wave Band
- 122 Downloads
In this paper, we describe intelligent beamforming antenna systems that can be used in the millimeter-wave band for High-altitude platform systems. We have developed two antenna systems for the millimeter-wave band and have designed experiments to test the efficiency of the developed systems. One is a multi-beam-horn antenna that enables high-speed transmission, and the other is an array antenna that digitally controls antenna beams. These antenna systems are also designed to work in the stratosphere. We also describe our solutions to the problems of low temperature and low pressure and show that the two antenna systems can function well in the stratosphere through tests conducted on the ground.
Keywordsdigital beamforming millimeter-wave multi-beam-horn antenna stratospheric-platform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T.C. Tozer and D. Grace, “High-Altitude Platforms for Wireless Communications”, IEE Electronics and Communications Engineering Journal, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 127–137, 2001.Google Scholar
- Y. Hase, G. Wu, and R. Miura, “Wireless Communication Systems Using Stratospheric Platforms”, in Proceedings of the AIAA ICSSC, Oakland, CA, pp. 251–258, April 2000.Google Scholar
- R. Miura et al., In Proceedings of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Stratospheric Platform Systems Workshop (SPSW), 1999–2003.Google Scholar
- M. Nagatsuka, et al., “Digital Broadcasting Experiment Using a High-Altitude Unmanned Aerial Vehicle”, in AIAA 21st International Communications Satellite Systems Conference and Exhibit, April 2003.Google Scholar
- M. Nagatsuka, et al., “Communication and Broadcasting Experiments Using Unmanned Stratospheric Solar Plane”, Satellite Communications Letters, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 20–24, March 2003.Google Scholar
- Y. Morishita, et al., “Recent Communications and Broadcasting Tests Using Stratospheric Platforms”, The Institute of Image Information and Television Engineers Technical Report, Vol. 27, No. 29, pp. 21–24, May 2003.Google Scholar
- Y. Arakaki, et al., “Preliminary Flight Test for Stratospheric Platform Systems – Millimeter Wave Multi-Beam Horn Antenna (MBHA) Systems Using Helicopter”, in Proceedings of the 2003 AIAA 21st International Communications Satellite Systems Conference and Exhibit, April 2003.Google Scholar
- R. Miura, M. Oodo, Y. Hase, T. Inaba, T. Sakamoto, and M. Suzuki, “Digital Beamforming Array Antenna On-Board Stratospheric Platform fro Quick-Response SDMA in the Band 31/28 GHz”, in Proceedings of the WPMC ‘01, Aalborg, Denmark, pp. 507–512, September 2001.Google Scholar