An open source smart home management system based on IOT
- 114 Downloads
Systems which can utilize the energy efficiently have been of much interest due to its promise to mitigate the energy crises. Internet of Things (IoT), i.e. the intercommunication of machines for an effective delivery of services with minimal human intervention, can form the basis of such systems. IoT based systems are gaining popularity due to the availability of high-speed mobile networks coupled with cost effective, accessible and fast embedded hardware. In this paper we propose an IoT based smart home management system using sensors, actuators, smartphone, web services and micro-controllers. The paper offers interoperability with exceptionally reliable connections. The system architecture takes care of the scenario where the devices are turned off when they are not in use. Being an entirely open source framework, a more deterministic control of security features can be attained by the user. Unlike existing frameworks, the proposed architecture makes the IoT system completely available via internet and open source systems. Finally, the implemented prototype demonstrates a flexible platform that can be extended to cater to changing needs.
KeywordsIoT Open source Mobile application Web server Web services
- 1.Angel Deborah, S., Palaniappan, S., Hariharan, N., Kesh, N. T., & Vidhyalakshimi, S. (2015). Home automation systems—A study. International Journal of Computer Applications, 116(11), 975–8887.Google Scholar
- 2.Teymourzadeh, R., Ahmed, S.A., Chan, K.W., & Hoong, M.V. (2013). Smart GSM based home automation system. In 2013 IEEE Conference on Systems, Process & Control (ICSPC) (pp. 306–309). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 3.Singh, P., Chotalia, K., Pingale, S., & Kadam, S. (2016). A review paper on smart GSM based home automation system. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), 3(04), 1838–1843.Google Scholar
- 4.Mandula, K., Parupalli, R., Murty, C.A., Magesh, E., & Lunagariya, R. (2015). Mobile based home automation using internet of things (IoT). In 2015 International Conference on Control, Instrumentation, Communication and Computational Technologies (ICCI-CCT) (pp. 340–343). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 5.Kodali, R.K., Jain, V., Bose, S., & Boppana, L. (2016). Iot based smart security and home automation system. In 2016 International Conference on Computing, Communication and Automation (ICCCA) (pp. 1286–1289). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 6.Pavithra, D., & Balakrishnan, R. (2015). Iot based monitoring and control system for home automation. In 2015 Global Conference on Communication Technologies (GCCT) (pp. 169–173). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 7.Chaudhari, A., Rodrigues, B., & More, S. (2016). Automated iot based system for home automation and prediction of electricity usage and comparative analysis of various electricity providers: Smartplug. In 2016 2nd International Conference on Contemporary Computing and Informatics (IC3I) (pp. 390–392). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 8.Sripan, M., Lin, X., Petchlorlean, P., & Ketcham, M. (2012). Re-search and thinking of smart home technology. In International Conference on Systems and Electronic Engineering-(ICSEE’2012) Google Scholar
- 9.Jiang, L., Liu, D.Y., & Yang, B. (2004). Smart home research. In Proceedings of 2004 International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, 2004 (vol. 2, pp. 659–663). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 10.Delgado, A.R., Picking, R., & Grout, V. (2006). Remote-controlled home automation systems with different network technologies. In Proceedings of the 6th international network conference (INC 2006), University of Plymouth, 11–14 July 2006 (pp. 357–366).Google Scholar
- 11.Light Dependent Resistor | LDR and working principle of LDR. https://www.electrical4u.com/. Accessed 29 October, 2018
- 12.Varma, A.: What is web server and different types of web servers? https://www.fastwebhost.in/blog/. Accessed: 29 October, 2018.
- 13.Data Visualization. https://searchbusinessanalytics.techtarget.com/. Accessed 29 October, 2018.
- 14.Few, S. The encyclopedia of human-computer interaction, 2nd ed. https://www.interaction-design.org/. Accessed 29 October, 2018.
- 15.Mobile App. https://whatis.techtarget.com/. Accessed 29 October, 2018.