MACHFL-FT: a fuzzy logic based energy-efficient protocol to cluster heterogeneous nodes in wireless sensor networks
- 16 Downloads
This article presents a fuzzy-based algorithm to cluster heterogeneous nodes using a fixed threshold in wireless sensor networks (MACHFL-FT). By using three clustering algorithm in different rounds, the proposed method chooses the best sensor nodes as cluster heads. On the other hand, in order to reduce sent messages, it is able to avoid selecting cluster heads by using a fixed threshold value in some rounds. Reducing the number of transmitted messages results in the reduction of nodes’ energy consumption, leading to more network energy conservation. In this article, the proposed algorithm (MACHFL-FT) clusters heterogeneous nodes by using three different algorithms. To save more energy, it would avoid holding cluster head elections in some rounds by using a fixed threshold value. The proposed algorithm is compared to other methods in two scenarios. The assessment criteria used in the comparison include the network remaining energy, the number of dead nodes, the first dead node, half of dead nodes and the last dead node. The results show that MACHFL-FT could reduce network energy consumption and prolong network lifetime.
KeywordsWireless sensor networks Clustering Fixed threshold Fuzzy logic
- 3.Akhtar, R., Amin, N. U., Memon, I, & Shah, M. (2013). Implementation of secure AODV in MANET. In International conference on graphic and image processing (pp. 876803–876803-5).Google Scholar
- 4.Domenic, M. K., Wang, Y., Zhang, F., Memon, I., & Gustav, Y. H. (2013). Preserving users’ privacy for continuous query services in road networks. In 6th International conference on information management, innovation management and industrial engineering (ICIII). https://doi.org/10.1109/iciii.2013.6702947.
- 6.Arain, Q. A., Uqaili, M. A., Deng, Z., Memon, I., Jiao, J., Shaikh, M. A., et al. (2016). Clustering based energy efficient and communication protocol for multiple mix-zones over road networks. Wireless Personal Communications, 95, 1–18.Google Scholar
- 9.Arain, Q. A., Zhongliang, D., Memon, I., Arain, S., Shaikh, F. K., Zubedi, A., et al. (2016). Privacy preserving dynamic pseudonym-based multiple mix-zones authentication protocol over road networks. Wireless Personal Communications, 95, 1–17.Google Scholar
- 13.Jiang, C., Ren, Y., Zhou, Y., Zhang, H. (2016) Low-energy consumption uneven clustering routing protocol for wireless sensor networks. In: 8th international conference on intelligent human-machine systems and cybernetics.Google Scholar
- 14.Ando, H., Wang, Q., Barolli, L., Kulla, E., Durresi, A., & Xhafa, F. (2011). A fuzzy-based cluster-head selection system for WSNs considering sensor node movement. In Proc. of IEEE conference on intelligent networking and collaborative systems (pp. 130–135).Google Scholar
- 15.Li, F., Li, Y., Zhao, W., Chen, Q., & Tang, W. (2006) An adaptive coordinated MAC protocol based on dynamic power management for wireless sensor networks. In Conference: proceedings of the international conference on wireless communications and mobile computing, IWCMC 2006. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, July 3–6, 2006.Google Scholar
- 16.Qin, X., Wang, X., Ouyang, F., Wang, T., Gan, X., & Tian, X. (2016) A dynamic unequal energy efficient clustering in wireless sensor network. In 2016 8th international conference on wireless communications & signal processing (WCSP). https://doi.org/10.1109/wcsp.2016.7752712.
- 25.Li Y, Yu N, Zhang W, Zhao W, You X, & Daneshmand M. (2011) Enhancing the performance of LEACH protocol in wireless sensor networks. In: IEEE conference on computer communications workshops (INFOCOM WKSHPS).Google Scholar
- 26.Wang L, Zhao W, Li Y, Qu Y, Liu Z, & Chen Q (2008) Sleep-supported and cone-based topology control method for wireless sensor networks. In IEEE international conference on networking, sensing and control.Google Scholar
- 27.Hu, L., Li, Y., Chen, Q., Liu, J. Y., & Long, K. P. (2007). A new energy-aware routing protocol for wireless sensor networks. In International conference on wireless communications, networking and mobile computing.Google Scholar
- 28.Liu, J., Li, Y., Chen, Q., Kuang, Y., Hu, L., & Long, K. (2007). Energy and storage efficient directed-diffusion for wireless sensor networks. In International conference on wireless communications, networking and mobile computing.Google Scholar
- 29.Zhou, X., Li, Y., Zhao, W., Liu, Z., & Chen, Q. (2007) MPTC: A minimum-energy path-preserving topology control algorithm for wireless sensor networks. IFIP/IEEE international conference on management of multimedia networks and services.Google Scholar