Adaptive downlink packet scheduling in LTE networks based on queue monitoring
- 91 Downloads
The dynamic packet scheduling is a key component of LTE network to enhance the system throughput, as well as to satisfy the end users with the quality of service. However, the burst in user data traffic leads to user queue overflow at eNodeB due to resource starvation. Therefore, in this paper, queue monitoring and resource scheduling algorithms are proposed for LTE downlink transmission to reduce overflow of the user queue at eNodeB, and also to reduce the transmission time of the packet. On the other hand, this also enhances the system throughput and maintains fairness among the users. The dynamic packet scheduling mechanism first checks the queue level of user at eNodeB, channel condition of the user, resource allocation history and QoS of the packets, and then computes the priority metric of user by using these parameters. Then, using three proposed resources allocation mechanisms, the resource blocks are allocated to the users based on priority metric of user as well as queue status of user at eNodeB. The experimental results illustrate that the proposed algorithms enhance the system throughput compared to other existing schedulers. Further, it also improves packet delivery fraction and reduces the transmission time of the packets.
KeywordsCellular system LTE network Resource scheduling Queue monitoring Quality of service (QoS) Channel quality indicator (CQI)
- 2.Carson, S., Jonsson, P., Sethi, J. S., Arvedson, M., Svenningsson, R., Lindberg, P., et al. (2017). Ericsson mobility report. White paper, Ericsson.Google Scholar
- 3.Chang, C. H. H. (2014). Implementation and evaluation of a QoS-aware downlink scheduling algorithm for LTE networks. Master’s thesis, Simon Fraser University.Google Scholar
- 6.Henderson, T. (2017). ns-3 Tutorial. https://www.nsnam.org/docs/models/singlehtml/index.html. Accessed Jan 20, 2017.
- 7.Huang, J., & Niu, Z. (2007). Buffer-aware and traffic-dependent packet scheduling in wireless OFDM networks. In Proceeding of IEEE international conference on wireless communications and networking (pp. 1554–1558).Google Scholar
- 8.Kela, P., Puttonen, J., Kolehmainen, N., Ristaniemi, T., Henttonen, T., & Moisio, M. (2008). Dynamic packet scheduling performance in UTRA long term evolution downlink. In Proceeding of IEEE 3rd international symposium on wireless pervasive computing (pp. 308–313). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 9.Kela, P., Puttonen, J., Kolehmainen, N., Ristaniemi, T., Henttonen, T., & Moisio, M. (2015). Efficient LTE PDCP buffer management. In Proceeding of IEEE international conference on communications (ICC) (pp. 5928–5934). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 13.Kwan, R., Arnott, R., Trivisonno, R., & Kubota, M. (2010) On pre-emption and congestion control for LTE systems. In Proceeding of IEEE 72nd vehicular technology conference fall (VTC 2010-Fall) (pp. 1–5). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 16.Lin, Y., & Yue, G. (2008). Channel-adapted and buffer-aware packet scheduling in LTE wireless communication system. In Proceeding of 4th international conference on wireless communications, networking and mobile computing (pp. 1–4).Google Scholar
- 18.Min, W., Pettersson, J., Timner, Y., Wanstedt, S., & Hurd, M. (2012). Efficient QoS over LTE—A scheduler centric approach. In Proceeding of IEEE 23rd international symposium on personal indoor and mobile radio communications (PIMRC) (pp. 1395–1400). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 19.Min, W., Pettersson, J., Timner, Y., Wanstedt, S., & Hurd, M. (2017). Downlink scheduling in LTE: Challenges, improvement, and analysis. In Proceeding of IEEE 13th international conference on wireless communications and mobile computing (IWCMC). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 20.Min, W., Pettersson, J., Timner, Y., Wanstedt, S., & Hurd, M. (2017). QoS-guaranteed channel-aware scheduling and resource grouping under non-full buffer traffic for LTE-A networks. In Proceeding of IEEE international conference on wireless communications and networking (WCNC). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 27.Singh, D., & Singh, P. (2013). Radio resource scheduling in 3GPP LTE: A review. International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), 4, 2405–2411.Google Scholar
- 28.Sulthana, S. F., & Nakkeeran, R. (2014). Study of downlink scheduling algorithms in LTE networks. Journal of Networks, 9(12), 3381–3391.Google Scholar
- 29.Susitaival, R., Tan, Y., & Torsner, P. (2015). Active queue management for wireless communication network uplink. US Patent 8,964,539. https://www.google.co.in/patents/US8964539. Accessed June 29, 2017.
- 31.Zaki, Y., Weerawardane, T., Gorg, C., & Timm-Giel, A. (2011). Multi-QoS-aware fair scheduling for LTE. In Proceeding of IEEE vehicular technology conference (VTC Spring) (pp. 1–5). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 32.Zaki, Y., Weerawardane, T., Hauth, S., Wallmeier, E., & Gorg, C. (2013). Intelligent traffic enforcement for LTE backhaul. In Proceeding of IEEE 24th international symposium on personal indoor and mobile radio communications (PIMRC) (pp. 3077–3082). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 33.Zhu, R., & Yang, J. (2015). Buffer-aware adaptive resource allocation scheme in LTE transmission systems. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13638-015-0398-y.
- 34.Zolfaghari, A., & Taheri, H. (2012). Queue-aware scheduling and congestion control for LTE. In Proceeding of 18th IEEE international conference on networks (ICON) (pp. 131–136).Google Scholar