Maximizing multicast lifetime in unreliable wireless ad hoc network
- 197 Downloads
Multicast is an efficient method for transmitting the same packets to a group of destinations. In energy-constrained wireless ad hoc networks where nodes are powered by batteries, one of the challenging issues is how to prolong the multicast lifetime. Most of existing work mainly focuses on multicast lifetime maximization problem in wireless packet loss-free networks. However, this may not be the case in reality. In this paper, we are concerned with the multicast lifetime maximization problem in unreliable wireless ad hoc networks. To solve this problem, we first define the multicast lifetime as the number of packets transmitted along the multicast tree successfully. Then we develop a novel lifetime maximization genetic algorithm to construct the multicast tree consisting of high reliability links subject to the source and destination nodes. Simulation results demonstrate the efficiency and effectiveness of the proposed algorithm.
KeywordsLifetime Multicast Unreliable link Energy Ad hoc network
This work is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 61402101, 61672151), Shanghai Municipal Natural Science Foundation (Grant No. 14ZR1400900), Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (Grant Nos. 2232014D3-42, 2232014D3-21, 2232015D3-29), A Project Funded by the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higer Education Institutions, Jiangsu Collaborative Innovation Center on Atmospheric Environment and Equipment Technology.
- 3.Vergados, D. J., Pntazis, N. A., & Vergados, D. D. (2008). Energy-efficient route selsection strategies for wireless sensor networks. Mobile Networks and Applications, 13(3–4), 285–296.Google Scholar
- 4.Dietrich, I., & Dressler, F. (2009). On the lifetime of wireless sensor networks. ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks. doi: 10.1145/1464420.1464425.
- 7.Hao, J., Duan, G., Zhang, B., & Li, C. (2013). An energy-efficient on-demand multicast routing protocol for wireless ad hoc and sensor networks. In Proceedings of 2013 GLOBECOM (pp. 4650–4655).Google Scholar
- 9.Yakine, F., & Idrissi, A. (2014). Energy efficient routing with network lifetime in wireless ad-hoc networks. In Proceedings of 2014 fifth international conference on NGNS (pp. 282–288).Google Scholar
- 10.Kang, I., & Poovendran, R. (2003). Maximizing static network lifetime of wireless broadcast ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of 2003 IEEE international conference on ICC (pp. 2256–2261).Google Scholar
- 11.Banerjee, S., Misra, A., Yeo, J., & Agrawala, A. (2003). Energy-efficient broadcast and multicast trees for reliable wireless communication. In Proceedings of wireless communications and networking (pp. 660–667).Google Scholar
- 12.Li, P., Guo, S., Jin, H., & Leung, V. (2010). Maximum lifetime broadcast and multicast routing in unreliable wireless ad-hoc networks. In Proceedings of 2010 IEEE GLOBECOM (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- 13.Misra, A., & Banerjee, S. (2002). MRPC: Maximizing network lifetime for reliable routing in wireless environments. In Proceedings of wireless communications and networking conference (pp. 800–806).Google Scholar
- 14.Liu, T., & Cerpa, A. E. (2014). Data-driven link quality prediction using link features. ACM Transactions on Sensor Netowrks. doi: 10.1145/2530535.
- 21.Dos Santos, P. V., Alves, J. C., & Ferreira, J. C. (2015). An FPGA framework for genetic algorithms: Solving the minimum energy broadcast problem. In Proceedings of 2015 euromicro conference on DSD (pp. 9–16).Google Scholar
- 22.Woo, A., & Celler, D. (2003). Evaluation of efficient link reliability estimators for low-power wireless networks. Technical Report UCB//CSD-03-1270, U.C., Berkeley Computer Science Division, September.Google Scholar
- 23.Baccour, N., Koubaa, A., Ben Jamaa, M., Youssef, H., Zuniga, M., & Alves, M. (2009). A comparative simulation study of link quality estimators in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of 2009 IEEE intenational symposium on MASCOTS (pp. 1–10).Google Scholar
- 24.Feeney, L. M., & Nilsson, M. (2001). Investigating the energy consumption of a wireless network interface in an ad hoc networking environment. In Proceedings of 2001 INFOCOM (pp. 1548–1557).Google Scholar
- 26.Li, Y., Yu, J., & Tao, D. (2014). Genetic algorithm for spanning tree construction in P2P distributed interactive applications. Neurocomputing, 140(22), 185–192.Google Scholar
- 27.Shaukat, U., & Anwar, Z. (2014). A fast and scalable technique for constructing multicast routing trees with optimized quality of service using a firefly based genetic algorithm. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 75(4), 2275–2301.Google Scholar
- 31.Complex optimization and decision-making laboratory, genetic algorithm toolbox. Availabe: http://codem.group.shef.ac.uk/index.php/ga-toolbox.