Resource allocation for network-controlled device-to-device communications in LTE-Advanced
- 709 Downloads
Network-controlled device-to-device (D2D) communication allows cellular users to communicate directly, i.e., without passing through the eNodeB, while the latter retains control over resource allocation. This allows the same time–frequency resources to be allocated to spatially separated D2D flows simultaneously, thus increasing the cell throughput. This paper presents a framework for: (1) selecting which communications should use the D2D mode, and when, and (2) allocating resources to D2D and non-D2D users, exploiting reuse for the former. We show that the two problems, although apparently similar, should be kept separate and solved at different timescales in order to avoid problems, such as excessive packet loss. We model both as optimization problems, and propose a heuristic solution to the second, which must be solved at millisecond timescales. Simulation results show that our framework is practically viable, it avoids the problem of packet losses, increases throughput and reduces delays.
KeywordsLTE-Advanced Device-to-device Resource allocation Optimization
The subject matter of this paper includes description of results of a joint research project carried out by Telecom Italia and the University of Pisa. Telecom Italia reserves all proprietary rights in any process, procedure, algorithm, article of manufacture, or other result of said project herein described. The authors wish to thank Andrea Rossali, formerly MSc student at the University of Pisa, for his contributions to the code.
- 1.3GPP. (2014). Study on LTE device to device proximity services: Radio aspects (release 12). TS 36.843 v12.0.1. March 2014.Google Scholar
- 2.3GPP. (2015). Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA) and Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access Network (E-UTRAN); overall description; stage 2. TS 36.300 v12.5.0. March 2015.Google Scholar
- 4.Doppler, K., Yu, C. H., Ribeiro, C. B., & Janis, P. (2010). Mode selection for device-to-device communication underlaying an LTE-Advanced network. In Proceedings of WCNC, (pp. 1–6). April 18–21, 2010.Google Scholar
- 5.Gu, J., Bae, S. J., Choi, B. G., & Chung, M. Y. (2012). Mode selection scheme considering transmission power for improving performance of device-to-device communication in cellular networks. In Proceedings of ICUIMC. February 20–22, 2012, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Google Scholar
- 7.Belleschi, M., Fodor, G., & Abrardo, A. (2011). Performance analysis of a distributed resource allocation scheme for D2D communications. In IEEE GLOBECOM 2011 workshops, (pp. 358–362). December 5–9, 2011.Google Scholar
- 8.Xiao, X., Tao, X., & Lu, J. (2011). A QoS-aware power optimization scheme in OFDMA systems with integrated device-to-device (D2D) communications. In Proceedings of VTC Fall, (pp. 1–5). September 5–8, 2011.Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, R., Cheng, X., Yang, L., & Jiao, B. (2013). Interference-aware graph based resource sharing for device-to-device communications underlaying cellular networks. In Proceedings of WCNC, (pp. 140–145). April 7–10, 2013.Google Scholar
- 10.Wen, S., Zhu, X., Zhang, X., & Yang, D. (2013). QoS-aware mode selection and resource allocation scheme for Device-to-Device (D2D) communication in cellular networks. In Proceedings of ICC, (pp. 101–105). June 9–13, 2013.Google Scholar
- 11.Xu, Y., Yin, R., Han, T., & Yu, G. (2012). Interference-aware channel allocation for Device-to-Device communication underlying cellular networks. In Proceedings of IEEE ICCC, (pp. 422–427). August 15–17, 2012.Google Scholar
- 12.Dahlman, E., Parkvall, S., & Skold, J. (2011). 4G: LTE/LTE-Advanced for mobile broadband. Cambridge: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 15.Yu, C. H., Tirkkonen, O., Doppler, K., & Ribeiro, C. (2009). On the performance of device-to-device underlay communication with simple power control. In Proceedings of IEEE VTC Spring, (pp. 1–5). April 26–29, 2009.Google Scholar
- 17.3GPP. (2015). Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA); Packet Data Convergence Protocol (PDCP) specification. TS 36.323 v12.3.0. March 2015.Google Scholar
- 22.EARTH EU project website. https://www.ict-earth.eu/.
- 23.SimuLTE webpage. http://www.simulte.com.
- 24.Virdis, A., Stea, G., & Nardini, G. (2014). SimuLTE: A modular system-level simulator for LTE/LTE-A networks based on OMNeT++. SimulTech 2014, Vienna, AT, August 28–30, 2014.Google Scholar
- 25.OMNeT++. http://www.omnetpp.org.
- 26.3GPP. (2010). Further advancements for E-UTRA physical layer aspects (release 9). TR 36.814 v9.0.0. March 2010.Google Scholar
- 27.ILOG CPLEX Software. http://www.ilog.com.
- 28.Zulhasnine, M., Changcheng, H., & Srinivasan, A. (2010). Efficient resource allocation for device-to-device communication underlaying LTE network. In IEEE 6th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob), (pp. 368–375). October 11–13, 2010. doi: 10.1109/WIMOB.2010.5645039.
- 29.Wu, Y., Wang, S., Guo, W., Chu, X., & Zhang, J. (2014). Optimal resource management for device-to-device communications underlaying SC-FDMA systems. In 9th International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing (CSNDSP), (pp. 569–574). July 23–25, 2014. doi: 10.1109/CSNDSP.2014.6923893.