Urgency-based packet scheduling and routing algorithms for delay-sensitive data over MANETs
- 555 Downloads
This paper proposes urgency-based packet scheduling and routing algorithms to effectively deliver delay-sensitive data over a multi-hop mobile ad hoc networks supporting IEEE 802.11 multi-rate service. First, packet urgency, node urgency, and route urgency are defined on the basis of the end-to-end delay requirement. Based on these urgency metrics and the estimated transmission delay of each packet by Kalman filter, the proposed packet scheduling algorithm determines the transmission order and drop policy to minimize the node urgency without unnecessary packet drop, and the proposed routing algorithm establishes a route to minimize the derivative of route urgency in order to maximize the number of packets delivered within the required end-to-end delay. Finally, experimental results are presented to evaluate the performance of the proposed joint working algorithms.
KeywordsPacket scheduling Routing Quality of service Delay-sensitive data transmission Mobile ad hoc network IEEE 802.11 multi-rate service
This research is supported by the MKE (The Ministry of Knowledge Economy), Korea, under the HNRC (Home Network Research Center)—ITRC (Information Technology Research Center) support program supervised by the NIPA (National IT Industry Promotion Agency) (NIPA-2011-C1090-1111-0010) and World Class University program funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology through the National Research Foundation of Korea (R31-10100).
- 4.Clausen, T., Jacquet, P., Laouiti, A., Minet, P., Muhlethaler, P., Qayyum, A. & Viennot, L. (2002). Optimized link state routing protocol. IETF Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-olsr-07.txt.Google Scholar
- 5.Chiang, C. C., Wu, H. K., Liu, W., & Gerla, M. (1997). Routing in clustered multihop mobile wireless networks with fading channel. IEEE Singapore International Conference on Networks (SICON) (pp. 197–211), Apr 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.Johnson, D. B., Maltz, D. A., & Broch, J. (2001). DSR: The dynamic source routing protocol for multi-hop wireless ad hoc networks in ad hoc networking (pp. 139–172). Reading: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- 8.Perkins, C., Belding-Royer, E., & Das, S. (2002). Ad hoc on-demand distance vector (AODV) Routing. IETF RFC 3561, July 2002.Google Scholar
- 9.Park, V. D. & Corson, M. S. (1997) A highly adaptive distributed routing algorithm for mobile wireless networks. IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), Apr. 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.Jiang, M., Li, J., & Tay, Y. C. (1999). Cluster Based Routing Protocol (CBRP). IETF MANET Working Group, Internet-Draft.Google Scholar
- 14.Lim, H., Lim, C., & Hou, J. C. (2006). A coordinate-based approach for exploiting temporal-spatial diversity in wireless mesh networks. ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom) (pp. 14–25), Sep. 2006.Google Scholar
- 15.Iannaccone, G., Brandauer, C., Ziegler, T., Diot, C., Fdida, S., & May, M. (2001). Comparison of tail drop and active buffer management performance for bulk-data and web-like internet traffic. IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC) (pp. 122–129), July 2001.Google Scholar
- 18.Ott, T. J., Lakshman, T. V., & Wong, L. H. (1999). SRED: Stabilized RED. IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM) (pp. 1346–1355), Mar. 1999.Google Scholar
- 20.Elbatt, T. & Ephremides, A. (2002). Joint scheduling and power control for wireless ad-hoc networks. IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM) (pp. 976–984).Google Scholar
- 23.Wu, H., Wang, X., Liu, Y., Zhang, Q., & Zhang, Z. (2005). SoftMAC: Layer 2.5 MAC for VoIP support in multi-hop wireless networks. IEEE Communications Society Conference on Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON), Sep. 2005.Google Scholar
- 24.Holland, G., Vaidya, N., & Bahl, P. (2001). A rate-adaptive mac protocol for multi-hop wireless networks. ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom), July 2001.Google Scholar
- 25.Sadeghi, B., Kanodia, V., Sabharwal, A., & Knightly, E. (2002). OAR: An opportunistic auto-rate media access protocol for ad hoc networks. ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom), Sep. 2002.Google Scholar
- 26.Ji, Z., Yang, Y., Zhou, J., Takai, M., & Bagrodia, R. (2004). Exploiting medium access diversity in rate adaptive wireless LANs. ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom) (pp. 345–359), Sep. 2004.Google Scholar
- 27.Seok, Y., Park, J., & Choi, Y. (2003). Multi-rate aware routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks. In IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (pp. 1749–1752). Spring 2003.Google Scholar
- 29.Ryu, S., Ryu, B., Seo, H., & Shin, M. (2005). Urgency and efficiency based packet scheduling algorithm for OFDMA wireless system. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) (pp. 2779–2785), May 2005.Google Scholar
- 30.Huang, L. & Lai, T. H. (2002). On the scalability of IEEE 802.11 ad hoc networks. ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking & Computing, Lausanne, Switzerland (pp. 173–182). June 2002.Google Scholar
- 31.Lai, T. H. & Zhou, D. (2003). Efficient and scalable IEEE 802.11 ad-hoc-mode timing synchronization function. International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (pp. 318–323), Mar. 2003.Google Scholar
- 33.Holland, G., Vaidya, N., & Bahl, P. (2001). A rate-adaptive MAC protocol for multi-hop wireless networks. International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (pp. 236–251), Aug. 2001.Google Scholar
- 34.Bianchi, G. & Tinnirello, I. (2003). Kalman filter estimation of the number of competing terminals in an IEEE 802.11 network. Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications (pp. 844–852), Apr. 2003.Google Scholar
- 35.Ekelin, S., Nilsson, M., Hartikainen, E., Johnsson, A., Mangs, J. E., Melander, B., & Bjorkman, M. (2006). Realtime measurement of end-to-end available bandwidth using Kalman filtering. IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS) (pp. 73–84), Apr. 2006.Google Scholar
- 36.Carvalho, M. M., Garcia-Luna-Aceves, J. J. (2003). Delay analysis IEEE 802.11 in single-hop networks. IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols, Atlanta, GA, USA, Nov. 2003.Google Scholar
- 37.NS-2 [Online]. Available: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/index.html/.
- 38.IEEE 802.11b (1999). Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) specifications: Higher Speed Physical Layer Extension in the 2.4 GHz Band.Google Scholar
- 39.Joint Video Team (JVT) reference software, version 15.1. [Online]. Available: http://iphome.hhi.de/suehring/tml/.