Expression and characterization of glutamate decarboxylase from Lactobacillus brevis HYE1 isolated from kimchi
A putative gene (gadlbhye1) encoding glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) was cloned from Lactobacillus brevis HYE1 isolated from kimchi, a traditional Korean fermented vegetable. The amino acid sequences of GADLbHYE1 showed 48% homology with the GadA family and 99% identity with the GadB family from L. brevis. The cloned GADLbHYE1 was functionally expressed in Escherichia coli using inducible expression vectors. The expressed recombinant GADLbHYE1 was successfully purified by Ni–NTA affinity chromatography, and had a molecular mass of 54 kDa with optimal hydrolysis activity at 55 °C and pH 4.0. Its thermal stability was determined to be higher than that of other GADs from L. brevis, based on its melting temperature (75.18 °C). Kinetic parameters including Km and Vmax values for GADLbHYE1 were 4.99 mmol/L and 0.224 mmol/L/min, respectively. In addition, the production of gamma-aminobutyric acid in E. coli BL21 harboring gadlbhye1/pET28a was increased by adding pyridoxine as a cheaper coenzyme.
KeywordsGamma-aminobutyric acid Glutamate decarboxylase Lactobacillus brevis Expression
All authors conceived the experiments and discussed the results. HSL and HL performed the experiments and analyzed the data with D-HS, I-TC and M-JS. D-HS, Y-DN and M-JS contributed to the writing of the paper.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest.
- Casado Muñoz MdC, Benomar N, Lerma LL, Gálvez A, Abriouel H (2014) Antibiotic resistance of Lactobacillus pentosus and Leuconostoc pseudomesenteroides isolated from naturally-fermented Aloreña table olives throughout fermentation process. Int J Food Microbiol 172:110–118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2013.11.025 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cho YR, Chang JY, Chang HC (2007) Production of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) by Lactobacillus buchneri isolated from kimchi and its neuroprotective effect on neuronal cells. J Microbiol Biotechnol 17:104–109Google Scholar
- Gevers D, Huys G, Swings J (2001) Applicability of rep-PCR fingerprinting for identification of Lactobacillus species. FEMS Microbiol Lett 205:31–36. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.2001.tb10921.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hao R, Schmit JC (1991) Purification and characterization of glutamate decarboxylase from Neurospora crassa conidia. J Biol Chem 266:5135–5139Google Scholar
- Rizzello CG, Cassone A, Di Cagno R, Gobbetti M (2008) Synthesis of angiotensin i-converting enzyme (ACE)-inhibitory peptides and γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) during sourdough fermentation by selected lactic acid bacteria. J Agric Food Chem 56:6936–6943. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf800512u CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yu JJ, Oh SH (2011) γ-Aminobutyric acid production and glutamate decarboxylase activity of Lactobacillus sakei OPK2-59 isolated from Kimchi. Korean J Microbiol 47:316–322Google Scholar