Recent advances in microbial production of mannitol: utilization of low-cost substrates, strain development and regulation strategies
Mannitol has been widely used in fine chemicals, pharmaceutical industries, as well as functional foods due to its excellent characteristics, such as antioxidant protecting, regulation of osmotic pressure and non-metabolizable feature. Mannitol can be naturally produced by microorganisms. Compared with chemical manufacturing, microbial production of mannitol provides high yield and convenience in products separation; however the fermentative process has not been widely adopted yet. A major obstacle to microbial production of mannitol under industrial-scale lies in the low economical efficiency, owing to the high cost of fermentation medium, leakage of fructose, low mannitol productivity. In this review, recent advances in improving the economical efficiency of microbial production of mannitol were reviewed, including utilization of low-cost substrates, strain development for high mannitol yield and process regulation strategies for high productivity.
KeywordsMannitol Fermentation Strain development Regulation Metabolic flux
The Key Science and Technology Project of Jiangsu Province (BE2016389), Jiangsu Key Lab of Biomass-based Green Fuels and Chemicals Foundation (JSBEM2016010).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declares that they have no conflict of interest.
- Bäumchen C, Roth AHFJ., Biedendieck R, Malten M, Follmann M, Sahm H, Bringer-Meyer S, Jahn D (2007) D-Mannitol production by resting state whole cell biotransformation of D-fructose by heterologous mannitol and formate dehydrogenase gene expression in Bacillus megentarium. Biotechnol J 2:1408–1416CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Costenoble R, Adler L, Niklasson C, Lide G (2003) Engineering of the metabolism of Saccharomyces cerevisiae for anaerobic production of mannitol. FEMS Yeast Res 3(1):17–25Google Scholar
- Dols M, Chraibi W, Simeon MR, Lindley ND, Monsan PF (1997) Growth and energetics of Leuconostoc mesenteroides NRRL B-1299 during metabolism of various sugars and their sequences for dextransucrase production. Appl Environ Microbiol 63(6):2159–2165Google Scholar
- Fontes CPML., Silveira MS, Guilherme A, Fernandes FAN, Rodrigues S (2013) Substitution of yeast extract by ammonium sulfate for mannitol production in cashew apple juice. Biocatal Agric Biotechnol 2(1):69–75Google Scholar
- Korakli ME, Schwarz GW, Hammes WP (2000) Production of mannitol by Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis. Adv Food Sci 22:1–4Google Scholar
- Kulbe KD, Schwab U, Gudernatsch W (2010) Enzyme-catalyzed production of mannitol and gluconic acid. Product recovery by various procedures. Ann N Y Acad 506(1):552–568Google Scholar
- Laxman S, Savergave RV, Gadre BK, Jogdand VV (2012) Two-stage fermentation process for enhanced mannitol production using Candida magnoliae mutant R9. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 36(2):193–203Google Scholar
- Martinez GH, Barker A, Horecker BL (1963) A specific mannitol dehydrogenase from Lactobacillus brevis. J Biol Chem 238:1598–1603Google Scholar
- Parmentier S, Arnaut F, Soetaert W, Vandamme EJ (2003) Application of NAD-dependent polyol dehydrogenases for enzymatic mannitol/sorbitol production with coenzyme regeneration. Commun Agric Appl Biol 68(2 Pt A):255–262Google Scholar
- Quain DE, Boulton CA (1987) Growth and metabolism of mannitol by strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Gen Microbiol 133(7):1675–1684Google Scholar
- Soetaert W (1990) Production of mannitol with Leuconostoc mesenteroides. Mededelingen van de Faculteit Landbouwwetenschappen, Rijksuniversiteit Gent 55:1549–1552Google Scholar
- Soetaert W (1991) Synthesis of D-mannitol and L-sorbose by microbial hydrogenation and dehydrogenation of monosaccharides. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Gent, GentGoogle Scholar
- Stoop JM, Mooibroek H (1998) Cloning and characterization of NADP mannitol dehydrogenase cDNA from the button mushroom, Agaricus bisporus, and its expression in response to NaCl stress. Appl Environ Microbiol 64(12):4689–4696Google Scholar