Protein nutritional value, polyphenols and antioxidant properties of corn fermented with Agaricus brasiliensis and Agaricus bisporus
- 11 Downloads
Solid-state fermentation (SSF) with Agaricus brasiliensis and Agaricus bisporus on corn was carried out. The results showed that SSF with the two fungi made up the deficiency of tryptophan in corn and improved the protein nutritional value of corn. The conjugated polyphenols contents in fermented corn decreased and free polyphenols (FPP) contents increased. FPP contents in corn fermented with the two fungi reached respectively 25 and 88 times of control, total polyohenols contents reached respectively 1.4 and 3.3 times of control. The antioxidant properties (i.e. 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl radical scavenging capacity, reducing power, ferrous ion chelating ability and superoxide anion radical scavenging ability) of fermented corn were improved significantly. SSF with A. bisporus was more favorable to the enhancement in protein nutritional value and antioxidant properties of corn than that of A. brasiliensis. The results indicated that SSF with the two fungi could upgrade the protein nutritional value, FPP content and antioxidant properties of corn.
KeywordsAgaricus spp. Antioxidant properties Corn Polyphenols Solid-state fermentation
Support for this research by the Shanxi Province Coal Fund (Grant No. FT2014-03) is gratefully acknowledged.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Bano ZRS (1982) Pleurotus mushroom as a nutritious food in the tropical mushrooms biological nature and cultivation methods. The Chinese University Press, Hong KongGoogle Scholar
- Chen JH, Li J, Zhang DM, Zhang TP, Zhu WH (2008) Biochemistry experiment. Science Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Cremades O, Diaz-Herrero MM, Carbonero-Aguilar P, Gutierrez-Gil JF, Fontiveros E, Rodríguez-Morgado B, Parrado J, Bautista J (2012) Preparation and characterisation of selenium-enriched mushroom aqueous enzymatic extracts (MAEE) obtained from the white button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus). Food Chem 133:1538–1543CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Huang WK (1989) Examination and Analysis of Food. China Light Industry Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Kumari D, Achal V (2008) Effect of different substrates on the production and non-enzymatic antioxidant activity of Pleurotus ostreatus (Oyster mushroom). Life Sci J 5:73–76Google Scholar
- Ray AA (1985) SAS user’s guide: statistics. SAS Institute, CaryGoogle Scholar
- Sun CH (2011) Nutrition and food hygiene. People’s Medical Publishing House, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Wu WM, Chen YY (1985) Applied fuzzy set methods. Beijing Teachers University Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar